Preparation for First Pharmacist Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkpillowzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Tomorrow I am going to be having an interview with CVS/pharmacy for a Full Time (30 hours) position as a pharmacist. Now, I am not too excited about this--I am trying to get a position at a hospital pharmacy instead. What I want to ask is what kind of questions should I be asking at the interview?

This is my first time at an interview. I do not know what to expect. I know I can handle myself well. I just want to know what important things I should ask for my own information. This is a list of a few things I came up with:

Would I be a floater or be given a permanent store?
If I am a floater, how far would I be traveling?
Reimbursement for traveling over certain distances?
Vacation time?
Vacation time considering I've already been there for 3 years?
Pay--per hour, or salaried?
If salaried, is it for 30 hours? If I am asked to work more hours during the week, the pay would go up? I don't want to be signing a salary position and wind up working 40 hours and getting the same pay as 30 hours.
Benefits?
Tech help?

I appreciate any responses. I asked a few pharmacists today at the hospital I work at what kind of questions I should be asking. I feel as if CVS knows the kids interviewing are 5th years and are naive and can be easily taken advantage of. I do not want to fall for that. Some may argue that taking a position at CVS already means I am falling for their tricks, lol.

Any advice, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you be any more selfish or narcissistic? Is there any question that does not revolve around money or around you personally?

You have worked for the company for three years. I assume you know the pharmacy supervisor. Ask what he or she sees as your place in the district. What do you bring to the company. Make sure you understand all of the initiatives the company is rolling and be conversant in the lingo.

Whether this is a retail or hospital job, you are selling yourself. Why should they higher you over the other available applicants? Make sure by the end of the interview they know why they should higher YOU.

Most of your questions will be answered once you get an offer.

Could you be any more selfish or narcissistic? Is there any question that does not revolve around money or around you personally?

You have worked for the company for three years. I assume you know the pharmacy supervisor. Ask what he or she sees as your place in the district. What do you bring to the company. Make sure you understand all of the initiatives the company is rolling and be conversant in the lingo.

Whether this is a retail or hospital job, you are selling yourself. Why should they higher you over the other available applicants? Make sure by the end of the interview they know why they should higher YOU.

Most of your questions will be answered once you get an offer.

Of course you can't just answer the question, you always have to add your rude and angry commentary...

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course you can't just answer the question, you always have to add your rude and angry commentary...

I did answer the question. In addition I gave him advice on what NOT to say as to maximize his chance of getting a job. You may not like my advice, but you don't have to take it.

If you focus on yourself in the interview and not on what you can do for the company, you will probably not get the job. In addition, most of the questions will be answered in the offer. Once you get the offer, you can counter or reject it. The idea is to get the offer. The questions the OP asked were designed to prevent him from getting an offer.

I did answer the question. In addition I gave him advice on what NOT to say as to maximize his chance of getting a job. You may not like my advice, but you don't have to take it.

If you focus on yourself in the interview and not on what you can do for the company, you will probably not get the job. In addition, most of the questions will be answered in the offer. Once you get the offer, you can counter or reject it. The idea is to get the offer. The questions the OP asked were designed to prevent him from getting an offer.

Im actually going to agree with OT here. If I was interviewing you and your questions all revolved around self interest I would not hire you. It seems like you have yourself first and not the company. If you NEED a job you may want to take a different approach. Im not saying what your doing is bad its just how you may come across.

I don't know about what questions to ask, but I have a few friends that had interviews with CVS this week, and for the most part they say it wasn't that tough. Be prepared to answer questions like:

• Where do you see yourself in 3 years?
  • Tell me how you would deal with a technician being late (once, 3x in a week, etc).
  • What is one thing that you've learned from your current pharmacist?
  • Tell me about one instance you've had while working that made you really enjoy pharmacy.
  • Do you prefer working in a busy store or a slow store? Why?
That's all I can remember them saying at the top of my head. Pretty standard interview questions, but you can never be too prepared.

Good luck.

floater
very far...2 hrs at least
zero
Vacation time?
one week for the first 2 yrs...
2 weeks max
45dollars/hr
If salaried, is it for 30 hours? yes!
If I am asked to work more hours during the week, the pay would go up? NO
I don't want to be signing a salary position and wind up working 40 hours and getting the same pay as 30 hours.
Benefits? No
Tech help? Not much

====

It's like the pot calling the kettle black. I haven't seen a single non-argumentative post from you yet.

Additionally, you're not providing any useful response...at least Old Timer is trying to help.

To the OP: here is a very helpful link with tons of questions you should consider:
http://www.bradleycvs.co.uk/interview/list-of-interview-questions.htm

????

Why don't you go read my post in this "Pharmacy" section to the guy who wanted to know about hours in California to get a license before you make yourself look like a real idiot?

Jeez, SZ251 is another example of a user to stay away from. Nothing but trouble and nothing but lies.

I think old timer came across as being too harsh. Those questions you listed - ask them AFTER you get the offer. They are great and important questions, and you shouldnt feel bad for asking them, just dont bring them up in the interview really. The interview shouldbe about assessing if you have the skills to perform well and if you and the company would be a good fit. Your questions seem mostly technical in nature and only really apply if you get an offer anyway. By asking them before you have an offer, you come across as being presumptive, but after you have the offer, they are completely fine and your contact should probably expect you to ask them.

floater
zero
Vacation time?
2 weeks max
45dollars/hr
I don't want to be signing a salary position and wind up working 40 hours and getting the same pay as 30 hours.
Benefits? No
Tech help? Not much

====

Ha ha - this was my reaction also - I could already answer most of those questions, and I don't know anything about the OP situation :)

floater
zero
Vacation time?
2 weeks max
45dollars/hr
Benefits? No
Tech help? Not much

====

Ha ha - this was my reaction also - I could already answer most of those questions, and I don't know anything about the OP situation :)

Well not really....
Depends on what the district needs. They may have an opening in a store and they expect you to fill same.
Depends on what area of the world you are in.
zero - that's true. Unless you are traveling a great distance, you will not be reimbursed for travel.
Vacation time?
Two weeks for the first 5 yrs...
The three years counts as your time of service. After two years as a a pharmacist you will get three weeks.
Varies by market
30 hours is full time. You are salaried, but paid hourly. If you sign on for thirty hours and work 40, you will be paid for 40.
Benefits?
Health insurance, 5% match on your 401K, 2 weeks vacation, short term disability. Employee purchase discount, stock options, ESPP.
Tech help?
Depends on your store.....

Well not really....
Depends on what the district needs. They may have an opening in a store and they expect you to fill same.
Depends on what area of the world you are in.
zero - that's true. Unless you are traveling a great distance, you will not be reimbursed for travel.
Vacation time?
Two weeks for the first 5 yrs...
The three years counts as your time of service. After two years as a a pharmacist you will get three weeks.
Varies by market
30 hours is full time. You are salaried, but paid hourly. If you sign on for thirty hours and work 40, you will be paid for 40.
Benefits?
Health insurance, 5% match on your 401K, 2 weeks vacation, short term disability. Employee purchase discount, stock options, ESPP.
Tech help?
Depends on your store.....

old timer always comes through with real advice :thumbup:

That's not advice, that's what the pay scale is now. Tomorrow who knows????

the pay scale? "varies by location" ?

What???

I just meant its good someone finally came through with a serious answer , im sure it will be helpful for example for the OP to know that she will be paid more for working more hours, and what kind of vacation etc, unlike the snide responses given earlier

the pay scale? "varies by location" ?

What???

I just meant its good someone finally came through with a serious answer , im sure it will be helpful for example for the OP to know that she will be paid more for working more hours, and what kind of vacation etc, unlike the snide responses given earlier

They were pretty basic questions but they will be part of the offer if the interview goes well. Once you get the offer that's a different story. If the interview revolves around these issues, I predict the OP will have more interviews in his/her future....

Thank you everybody for posting your responses. I had my interview on Friday and it went extremely well. I nailed it. Now, just have to wait for them to finish interviewing all the other kids and wait for the call back.

Thank you everybody for posting your responses. I had my interview on Friday and it went extremely well. I nailed it. Now, just have to wait for them to finish interviewing all the other kids and wait for the call back.

Only having to work 30 hours a week and still get health benefits would be nice! You think there' a lot of competition for such a job?

Congrats on nailing the interview!! I love that feeling when you walk out knowing you floored them and will likely be getting a call. :D

Have you gotten a hospital offer yet?

Hi,

Tomorrow I am going to be having an interview with CVS/pharmacy for a Full Time (30 hours) position as a pharmacist.

How's 30 hour per week a full time job?

That's 75 percent of full time.. it also means your salary will be 75 percent ...

I'd say that's not so full time.

How's 30 hour per week a full time job?

That's 75 percent of full time.. it also means your salary will be 75 percent ...

I'd say that's not so full time.

Full time as in you get the benefits of being a full time employee, health insurance, 401K, etc....