Preparation for General Chem, Physics and Bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butters149

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering what are some good preparations for General Chem, Physics and Bio? Mainly Chem. I have no science background at all and at my local cal state they require me to take an entrance exam for Gen Chem. I have heard its about 25 questions, mainly applied algebra, conversions and mole calculations. I know how to do little conversions but have no idea about moles. I am currently reading "Chem for dummies" book and was just wondering what are some better ways to prepare myself before I start the real thing in FAll or Winter.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i would think that the best preparation would be to find out what textbook your chem class will use, get a copy of it and read the first 1-4 chapters or so. get through moles, units, scientific method, etc. stop reading when it starts talking about actual chemistry.

I second that. Buy the text, that way you have it ahead of time. If you can do the first few chapters you will be able to handle anything on a placement test. You're not trying to test OUT of Gen Chem, just into it. They don't expect you to already know the course material.

Members don't see this ad :)
mole to gram.....gram to mole

Be sure that you have suitable math prep for any science course before you take it. Most people who end up having problems do not have the math tools for the course that they are attempting to take. If you are stuggling to understand how to use your math as a tool to problem-solve, you have added to the difficulty of your coursework. Get you math up to speed and then take any courses in the sciences.

If you have to math-refresh, take General Bio with your math refresher course as Biology has little math requirement. General Chemistry and General Physics need strong algebra skills.

Are you taking them all at once or one at a time?
If one at a time, I'd take physics, chem, bio in that order.
There are aspects of physics that will help with chem and parts of chem that will help with bio.

In any case, make sure you brush up on your algebra before taking physics or chem (or calc if it is a calc based course). It's hard to work the problems if your math skills are rusty. If it's been a while, think about taking a math course first as a refresher.