Preparation for Secondary Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simpleG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDNers,

I was wondering whether any of you veterans could help out us newbies applying for entrance 2003. Because I'm paranoid about rolling admissions, and also because I'll be traveling a bit in August, I'd like to prepare beforehand for secondary questions that are likely to come up. What are some frequent questions that come up repeatedly? Any other suggestions prepping for secondaries? (I hope this isn't repetitious.)

Also, this is my first post. And the first time's the hardest right? SDN is great, I'm already addicted. Looking forward to going through this application process with all of you.

Members don't see this ad.

Questions I received on secondaries:
Most unique leadership experience (UCLA, Mt. Sinai)
Problem in your life, how you dealt, who helped, what you learned (UCLA, UC Davis, Pritzker)
Autobiographical sketch, incl. family, childhood, school years, future career goals with motivation and obstacles (UCSD)
Personal motivational factors towards medicine, how they have influenced your preparation and goals (Stanford, Johns Hopkins)
Detailed explanation of volunteer activities (Stanford, Johns Hopkins, UCLA)
Level of interest in being career medical faculty (USC)
Explanation of research experience (USC, Pritzker)
Develop a profile of a "good" physician and how you fit this (Northwestern)
Processes you have used to explore your commitment to medicine (Northwestern)
Why do you want to attend our school in particular? (Northwestern, Yale, Mt. Sinai, Tufts, Georgetown)
Experience where you truly helped someone (Pritzker)
Values and beliefs you live by (Pritzker)
Why you chose your undergrad school and major (Johns Hopkins)

I hope that helps, those are all the ones I have.

Peas, why would you want to be on toast?

Thanks for the reply. I hope that everything worked out for you when you appied.

One more thing, do you know if schools usually repeat secondary questions over the years.? For example, if Northwestern asked you a question last year, is there a good chance that they will be asking the same one this year?

Thanks...

That I don't know (about schools changing the questions). I don't imagine that many of them do, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. At least give some thought to the ones that are repeated because they'll show up in some form. Most of them have really strict character limits (ridiculous things like "tell me your most inspiring experience in 50 words or less"). Let me know if there's more I can help you with.