Preparatory reading for PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docronmd1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm doing my preliminary yr and start at my PM&R program next year. What should i be reading this year in preparation for the PM&R residency? I have looked into DeLisa's book and the Handbook, but i would like to start brushing up my basic sciences. Is Clinical anat - Keith L. Moore a good idea for anat? Any other suggestion, please?

Ron

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it all depends on what exactly you need to brush up on. Anatomy, neurology, physical exam skills, radiology, etc.

Intern year is tough, and it'll be a struggle just doing what you're expected to do(and read) for your current rotations. That is, unless you have one of those "cush" prelim years...:)

I'm on a relatively "cushy" rotation at this time, and next mth also. Basically i ask this qu becoz our program has a book fund and i was wondering what books i should order that will be useful during my PM&R residency. The PM&R program will provide the texts (Braddom / DeLisa) next year and as you rightly pointed out, i will probably not have much time to read them this year anyway. But revising anatomy, neurology, etc will be helpful this year and the next few to come, and so i was wondering what books PM&R residents read for neurology, anatomy, etc in the 1st yr of the PM&R residency (basically which books are most geared towards the specialty) in addition to DeLisa or Braddom.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there are a couple that come to mind:

Physical Examination of the Spine and Extremities by Stanley Hoppenfeld. Some PM&R residents swear by this book. Especially the DO's I've met. I bought it. It's a good reference tool. Good explanations with pictures. (speaking of which...where is mine??)

Orthopedic Neurology by Hoppenfeld. Also a pretty good book. Smaller than the original as it tries to tackle the both neurology(as it relates to the spinal cord) and ortho. Testing of nerve roots, determinations of SC levels. Good pictures and good overviews.

And my new fave(especially since I've been on Ortho Surg for the last 2 months)...

Netter's Consise Atlas of Orthopaedic Anatomy by Thompson, illustrated by Netter.
Good chapters with color pictures. Each ortho system is covered(ankle, spine, hip, shoulder, etc) with details to bone, muscle, physical exam, as well as pathology. Some of the ortho guys at my hospital have this book. Although it doesn't hurt that the guy who wrote it is an ortho resident from the military ortho program here in SA.

and I've found that Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Secrets by O'Young et al. is always worth a mention. Question-answer format. Covers wide area of PM&R. Glossy over some areas...too much extraneous in others...Good to flip through every once in a while when you're off service.

Well, I'm tapped...hope that helped.

PM&R Secrets is the way to go. It is a very broad-based overview and easy reading. You might also order from amazon "Chronic Disease and Disability: A Comprehensive Approach to Medical Practice." It's a relatively short good general overview too and is the required text for UW medical students on their required PM&R rotation.

Thanks drusso and digiblecat.

In addition to those books previously mentioned, I came across another book during my rotation in PM&R that my attending had:

Practical Manual of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Diagnostics, Therapeutics, and Basic Problems by Jackson Tan

My attending recommended it highly. It gives a great overview of almost everything you will encounter in PM&R. It's also a handbook that is easy to carry in your coat.