Preparing for a Re-apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sooster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice after an unsuccessful 2018 cycle; the plan is to spend the next year improving and applying for the 2020 cycle.

Here's my app at a jist:

• 3.72 cGPA/sGPA, BS Mechanical Engineering, graduated in 5/17
  • 515 (129/126/130/130) MCAT (from 6/17)
  • 2 summers working at a medical billing company (~650 hours) - a lot of this time was spent calling patients, does this count as clinical experience?
  • 110 hours volunteering at a hospital during undergrad
  • Undergraduate research with a biomechanics group, working with bone regeneration (~350 hours),
    • 1 poster
  • 40 hours shadowing internist
  • Leader on a student electric race car team (~1000 hours)
  • Have spent the last year working at an EMR company for technical/customer service (~1600 hours)
I applied in 2018 as an IL resident (when I reapply in 2020 it will be from MN) and received one II late in March. Here were my schools:
  • University of Rochester
  • University of Illinois at Chicago
  • Tufts
  • The Ohio State University
  • SUNY Upstate
  • SUNY Downstate (II in March)
  • Saint Louis University
  • Keck
  • Indiana University
  • Icahn
  • Hofstra
  • Geisel
  • Care Illinois College of Medicine
  • Boston University
  • Albert Einstein
I recently left my job and am starting a scribing gig later this month, as I feel clinical exposure is one of my application weaknesses. I'm also looking to add some clinical and non-clinical volunteering opportunities. I would really appreciate any feedback any of you may have to help structure my preparation year and best prepare myself for the following cycle. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When did you submit AMCAS/secondaries last year and when were you complete?

AMCAS submitted on 07/23, secondaries submitted between 09/05-09/17

Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely need more clinical hours. And, no, medical billing doesn't count for that. The scribing will be good. As for service-to-the-needy volunteering, maybe you should find a science interest group for low income kids and help out there. Or start a science activities group at your local United Way/Boys and Girls Club/rec center/whatever.

Your secondary turn around time had a huge lag. Most people submit within two weeks. I think I submitted most of mine within a week if not sooner. I understand life gets in the way, but you need to be submitting everything as soon as you have everything together.

I agree with @curbsideconsult. More service to undeserved and more clinical volunteering and submit that application ASAP when it opens. Do not underestimate the difference that will make.

What was your strategy for choosing schools to apply to? I see a midwest/northeast preference? I'll admit I'm not as familiar with school stats and some of the adcom members here would probably be more helpful, but did you use any resources like MSAR?