Preparing for away rotations... Advice/Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by amy2003uva, May 31, 2008.

1. amy2003uva

amy2003uva Senior Member

Medical Student
    Any practical advice or book recommendations before starting Ob/Gyn away rotations? I'd like to be polished and well-read since I'll be an acting sub-intern, but that seems like a tall task after just finishing my 3rd year of school.

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cholinergic

Cholinergic Member

I'm a rising 4th year too. I really liked Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility as a pocket resource. I have the newest ed, but it's sort of bulky (the binding broke). I plan to keep this on me during aways.

The chairman of the dept at my programs said they notice when students try to make themselves look good at the expense of everyone else so I guess being a team player is basic but solid advice.

4. Global Disrobal

Global Disrobal Along for the ride
    Moderator Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Amy,
    In my years, the medical students that stood out the most were the ones that fit in the team well, went the extra mile to help out or follow the patient, were humble and respectful of the situation.

My suggestion is:
    1. Be yourself
    2. Ask alot of questions
    3. Volunteer for assignments (i.e. looking up topics for next day's rounds)
    4. Be friendly
    5. Don't be cocky
    6. Don't show up (or point out) a weak resident or their flaws... this will always backfire
    7. And read on the rotation about the interesting cases you get and the next day mention an interesting finding or research regarding that case

Best of luck!

5. tnote

tnote Junior Member

First: hey out there! I haven't posted since I was a premed, now I'm on the verge of 4th year...my how time flies!

Anyway, to add to this discussion on away rotations-

I'm in the process of applying, but I've got quite a few that I am interested in for various reasons. I got some advice from my mentor that I should do high-risk as an elective, but I'm already doing an MFM sub internship before my away rotation would start. I thought if I was asked what else I'd done, and I said MFM sub-I, that might come off as a little...too prepared? Maybe I'm overthinking it a bit. But are there any away rotations that you all have done that you would recommend (location and type)?

A little about me: I'm not interested in fellowships at this point, so I'm thinking of a program that is a good mix of community and academic focused. I'm pretty flexible on location for residency, though I would like to be in a pretty diverse area.

Thanks so much!

6. Embryo2006

Embryo2006 Member

All good advice above.

I wouldn't double up on another MFM rotation. Pick something else to round out your experience. You can always ask for an opportunity to spend a day in MFM clinic or take an overnight call on L&D if you wind up doing a gyn rotation, for example. You basically want to get good feel for the program and expose yourself to as many residents and faculty as possible. Didactics, grand rounds, and journal clubs are also opportunities to take advantage of. Good luck!