BulsangHanNamja

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
83
0
Status
Pharmacist
Hi, I'm a sophmore right now and I haven't taken organic yet. I'm trying to plan out what i should do this summer. If even i don't plan on taking the DAT until sometime next year.... would you guys still recommend me studying for the DAT over this summer? Thanks
 
OP
B

BulsangHanNamja

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
83
0
Status
Pharmacist
BulsangHanNamja said:
Hi, I'm a sophmore right now and I haven't taken organic yet. I'm trying to plan out what i should do this summer. If even i don't plan on taking the DAT until sometime next year.... would you guys still recommend me studying for the DAT over this summer? Thanks
Oh yeah... so far i've only had bio I and II ... chem I and II and genetics.
 

Profchaos

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
503
0
Status
BulsangHanNamja said:
Hi, I'm a sophmore right now and I haven't taken organic yet. I'm trying to plan out what i should do this summer. If even i don't plan on taking the DAT until sometime next year.... would you guys still recommend me studying for the DAT over this summer? Thanks
I took bioII, OrgI and OrgII over one summer, and also researched during that time. After that, I took one month to study DAT and filed my application.
 
OP
B

BulsangHanNamja

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
83
0
Status
Pharmacist
Profchaos said:
I took bioII, OrgI and OrgII over one summer, and also researched during that time. After that, I took one month to study DAT and filed my application.
I'm not really considering taking org I and II over the summer. I'd like to get as much as i can out of org I and II so i'll be taking that over the school year.
 

Pikeyman

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
257
1
Status
Study whenever you want but if I were you, I would work at NIH or some labs to get some experience and build relationships with professors (this might come in handy for LOR's). If you are a really disciplined sob, you should be able to fit in some DAT studying time in the evenings and nights.

I studied for the DAT during the spring break of my junior year after Gen Bio 1 & 2, Microbio, Genetics, Cell Bio, Gen Chem 1 & 2, Orgo 1 & 2, Biochem.

As you begin to take upper-level Bio and Chem classes, the stuff you had learned in Gen Bio's and other pre-req Bio and Chem clases should be tatoo'ed in your brain. By the time I finished Cell Bio & Biochem, I only had to look over the DAT review book just to refresh my memory.

By the time you open that blue Kaplan DAT book, everything you see should be just another review.

Good luck.
 

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
1,562
4
Oregon
Status
Dentist
Pikeyman said:
As you begin to take upper-level Bio and Chem classes, the stuff you had learned in Gen Bio's and other pre-req Bio and Chem clases should be tatoo'ed in your brain. By the time I finished Cell Bio & Biochem, I only had to look over the DAT review book just to refresh my memory.

By the time you open that blue Kaplan DAT book, everything you see should be just another review.
I agree with the above quote.

Study for DAT whenever you want, but know that whatever you study now, you may forget by the actual date of the test. It may be useful to look at the PAT and get a sense of how it is done.

I studied for my DAT indirectly, by studying for MCAT, and that was super helpful. Of course, I don't recommend that to anyone else.

Do keep in mind that DAT is a very important aspect of your application. It is more important than having research experiences. If you scored high on it, it seriously opens more doors than you thought it does. So good luck. Whenever you study for it, make sure you do well and score in the 90th percentile, if not higher.