Preparing for Interviews DO!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bijoux22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone.

I have a KCOM interview in Oct. and it is definitely my number one school! I am a very good interviewer in general but I was wondering how people are preparing for it? I am the most worried about the ethics questions. I took my medical ethics courses my freshman year of college and now have been out of college for 2 years. Are there any books or sites that anyone recommends to help brush up or to provide insight?

I dont want to seem too radical or too narrowminded. I understand that the interviewers are probably just trying to see your opinion on the matter but I am nervous!

Thanks! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

For specific questions, check the interview feedback portion of sdn its a gold mine.

For ethics questions I got a book called "tough decisions" that gives lots of ethics scenarios and allows you to choose what decision, as a physician, to make. Each decision is followed up by patient outcome. Its a pretty cool book for super cheap.

For those questions, pick a side, defend it, and just make sure its not TOO radical.

For specific questions, check the interview feedback portion of sdn its a gold mine.

For ethics questions I got a book called "tough decisions" that gives lots of ethics scenarios and allows you to choose what decision, as a physician, to make. Each decision is followed up by patient outcome. Its a pretty cool book for super cheap.

For those questions, pick a side, defend it, and just make sure its not TOO radical.

What an awesome suggestion I didn't know that book existed! Thanks for sharing :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm interested in this book now (thank you) and I'm just wondering, does it talk about a lot of the ethics-related questions or situations one might confront in an interview?

I'm interested in this book now (thank you) and I'm just wondering, does it talk about a lot of the ethics-related questions or situations one might confront in an interview?

All ethics stuff but great stuff to think about that could potentially be asked in an interview. Look it up on amazon

Tough decisions: cases in medical ethics

All ethics stuff but great stuff to think about that could potentially be asked in an interview. Look it up on amazon

Tough decisions: cases in medical ethics

this is why SDN is so amazing. If it hadn't been for your post, I would have never known about this book. But, can't believe its almost $40!

Hahaha thanks! It was recommended by an ortho i shadow. Good book to tall about with pre med friends.

Gregory Pence also writes a Medical Ethics text that is quite good. I have a Master's degree in bioethics and medical humanities, and got to work on real cases. Bring on the ethical dilemmas! ;)

As long as you know your app, know why medicine, why DO, why <insert school here>, you should be fine.

I had trouble finding the Interview Feedback section when I was preparing for interviews, so I'll do you guys a favor and post the link right here

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=osteopathic

Also, from what I've been told by my mentor who was a professor at WesternU in Pomona, they usually don't care what your answer is concerning ethical stuff. They are just trying to see you squirm. As long as your answer isn't super controversial and you maintain composure, you should be in the clear.

HI everyone.

I have a KCOM interview in Oct. and it is definitely my number one school! I am a very good interviewer in general but I was wondering how people are preparing for it? I am the most worried about the ethics questions. I took my medical ethics courses my freshman year of college and now have been out of college for 2 years. Are there any books or sites that anyone recommends to help brush up or to provide insight?

I dont want to seem too radical or too narrowminded. I understand that the interviewers are probably just trying to see your opinion on the matter but I am nervous!

Thanks! :oops:
Try and keep things simple and conversational. Be ready to explain any bad parts of your app, and don't cheese it up when you try to. You probably won't get too many off the wall "explain problems with health care" questions. I loved my KCOM interview, really felt like they got to know me better than just spouting of questions from my file (it is open file by the way).

I am just nervous because I am Canadian Perm Resident (lived in Missouri for the past 10 yrs, my family is here, I plan to stay here) and I am afraid that they are going to grill me on healthcare related questions. '

But thanks everyone for the book advice and links.. this is the first "positive" feedback I have gotten from sdn :)

The average US citizen (probably the average US pre-med too) doesn't know much about the healthcare system. They pay their insurance pay their copay, and go about their lives. Be halfway knowledgeable about the ACA and you should be fine.