Preparing for my post-bacc in a year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coolrunnings22

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am starting a formal one year post-bacc program in exactly a year. Given its length, the MCAT is generally taken immediately after you finish your year of classes.

I took most of the sciences in undergrad c.10 years ago, so the knowledge is buried deep in my brain somewhere. I would like to spend the next year casually preparing myself for the post-bacc and refreshing my memory of the topics, so when I get there I can be ready to crush it academically.

Are there any resources you would all recommend? MCAT prep resources seem a little too "reviewy" for me - I need more of a grounding in the basics. How about Khan Academy?

I was thinking about picking one solid book for each subject and going through it over the next year. Any suggestions? For bio I've heard Campbell's is great, so will go with that. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
 
I would definitely brush up on the basics starting with math. Physics and general chemistry involve a lot of calculation and manipulation of equations. I would review college algebra - pre-calc/calculus depending on the physics in your program.

For General Chemistry prep, I would use Brown Chemistry. It is the most common textbook used at the collegiate level though you could also use an open source textbook. If you decide to buy one, get an older edition as not much as changed. Go online to look for general chemistry worksheets/tests/questions and practice solving the problems.

For Biology, Campbell biology is popular but again get an older edition as not much has changed. You should be able to find a ton of online resources to help practice the concepts.

For organic chemistry, I am preparing with Organic Chemistry as a Second Language.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad