Preparing for Organic Chemistry...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yazo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend last semester and he said the average on the first exam was around 50%. I also know the professor is tough and I've heard from numerous people that his lectures can be confusing. Since I'll be taking orgo starting in the fall, I'm wondering what I can do during the summer to prepare?

Members don't see this ad.

Is the class curved? The average midterm scores ranged between 30-50% for all the exams. Although it was difficult, I still ended up with a good grade in the class and feel I was well-prepared for the ochem content for the MCAT (since you have to do content review anyway). I guess if you really wanted to prepare over the summer, you could review some of the previous year's slides / lectures (if they're recorded and uploaded) but I honestly wouldn't sweat it too much.

Nothing. Enjoy your summer. When organic starts, just stay on top of it. The point of organic isn't for us to become organic chemists. It's to teach us how to think logically and sometimes abstractly to get to a solution. Never forget the forest for the trees. SN1, SN2, E1 and E2. It all fits into those four pegs. You'll see what I mean when you get there. For me personally, it was like trying to solve a puzzle and each reagent we learned was another tool in by box to do that. The fact that I even remember this now is kind of sad but it's not as bad as everyone says it is. Cheers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get Wade's Organic Chemistry and treat it as your ochem bible. Also enjoy your summer a bit. But Wade's Organic Chemistry is the answer

I was talking to a friend last semester and he said the average on the first exam was around 50%. I also know the professor is tough and I've heard from numerous people that his lectures can be confusing. Since I'll be taking orgo starting in the fall, I'm wondering what I can do during the summer to prepare?
Just relax for now. Class average does not necessarily equal your average. When the semester rolls around pay attention to the patterns that emerge