Preparing for PA-MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hazel97

Reaction score
Hello! I am a 2nd year college student preparing for PA-MPH degree.
During the last 2 years in college, I was into epidemiology, which led me to focus on research (published 3 papers) rather than on direct patient care.
While studying epi, I realized my interest in clinical epi and thought it would be better to get a dual degree in PA-MPH.
My current GPA is 3.5 and I can fit in the prerequisites for PA in my 3-4th year in college.
But I don't know whether I can earn enough hours of direct patient care without taking a gap year.

My main questions are:

1. If I get CNP certificate in December, would it be possible to get a summer job using the CNP certificate? If so, mainly where should I find it?

2. Do you think it is possible for me to get into a PA program without a gap year?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Most PA schools don’t actually require a lot of emphasis on your health care experience when considering your application. Each school has different requirements for applicants.

Also keep in mind that a combined MPH and PA degree will be a very expensive undertaking. I would actually set out to find someone who has a PA MPH degree and see what they are doing. If they are doing patient care, then it’s kikely their employer cares little about their MPH, and they are therefor underutilized. If they are working in a role that heavily utilizes their MPh, then they are completely underutilizing their PA degree, and in a role paying far less than what they would make with their PA degree. I got an interview to a PA MPH program, and didn’t even bother to go because it was ridiculously expensive, and took 3 years. No employer would be paying me more for the additional degree tacked on. And to be honest, most places that would hire me with an MPH would also be excited about a Pa being willing to do MPH stuff for MPH wages. The degree is a solution in search of a role.

Reactions: 1 user
Most PA schools don’t actually require a lot of emphasis on your health care experience when considering your application. Each school has different requirements for applicants.

Also keep in mind that a combined MPH and PA degree will be a very expensive undertaking. I would actually set out to find someone who has a PA MPH degree and see what they are doing. If they are doing patient care, then it’s kikely their employer cares little about their MPH, and they are therefor underutilized. If they are working in a role that heavily utilizes their MPh, then they are completely underutilizing their PA degree, and in a role paying far less than what they would make with their PA degree. I got an interview to a PA MPH program, and didn’t even bother to go because it was ridiculously expensive, and took 3 years. No employer would be paying me more for the additional degree tacked on. And to be honest, most places that would hire me with an MPH would also be excited about a Pa being willing to do MPH stuff for MPH wages. The degree is a solution in search of a role.

Thank you for your response :)