Preparing for part2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leigh13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started studying for part 2 national dental board 3 days ago. Clueless of how things will be, have tons of questions running through my head. First, i didn't get 80 and above on my part 1, just wondering is it better for me to retake part 1 and aim for a higher score? or just go ahead and take part2, If i passed part2 and wanted to take part1 again, is that possible without retaking part2? I'm a graduate of a non accredited school, 5 yrs accumulated for part 1 and part 2 to be accepted started when? when you first take the test for part1 or when you first passed the the test for part1.

Members don't see this ad.

From the mistake I made, I suggest your retake your part1 first, since your memory is still fresh with all of those question. I regret preparing my part II now, but since I already go for 70-80 % of the materials.... I will go for it and then retakng my part1.

I wish this can help.

Members don't see this ad :)
can somebody tell me how long does it take to prepare for part 2 and what should is tart with

Hi
I am planning to start my prep for part2 I am clueless regarding this
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I appreciate all the comments i got from my initial questions. I did some research with ADA and there are some universities that require a passing score of 75 thou my score is higher than 75 but yet below 80. Universities usually requires international dentist to passed both part 1 and part2 of nbde, toefl exam, and etc. Sad but true my memory is not fresh, i took my part 1 2003 and i failed to do a follow up coz i'm working as a dental assistant. Now i finally realized all the time wasted for the goal i wanted to attain from the very beginning but we can't undo the past. From my research, we can either pass the part2, take toefl and prepare other requirements. Either we can apply for a dental hygienist which is open in florida or apply in a universities and take our chances. i guess I'll be in the same position as some of you who will take part2 regardless of a score lower than 80 for part1. I would say preparation for part2 will entail 6 months in my point of view. After researching at ADA today i find hope instead of depression. I maybe wrong but comments are much appreciated with others who had experiences with exams. God bless to all of us

I appreciate all the comments i got from my initial questions. I did some research with ADA and there are some universities that require a passing score of 75 thou my score is higher than 75 but yet below 80. Universities usually requires international dentist to passed both part 1 and part2 of nbde, toefl exam, and etc. Sad but true my memory is not fresh, i took my part 1 2003 and i failed to do a follow up coz i'm working as a dental assistant. Now i finally realized all the time wasted for the goal i wanted to attain from the very beginning but we can't undo the past. From my research, we can either pass the part2, take toefl and prepare other requirements. Either we can apply for a dental hygienist which is open in florida or apply in a universities and take our chances. i guess I'll be in the same position as some of you who will take part2 regardless of a score lower than 80 for part1. I would say preparation for part2 will entail 6 months in my point of view. After researching at ADA today i find hope instead of depression. I maybe wrong but comments are much appreciated with others who had experiences with exams. God bless to all of us

Leigh13, I am glad that you did a research, to be honest with you, and I would like other members in here also give an advise and comments to leigh13.
Getting into dental school, either for a regular 4 years DDS or International dental program is very very competitive now.
It is true most of the schools mention it on ADA website their requirement is 75 above, but because of competition, there is almost impossible for IDP with scores below 80's get into the program (especially Part 1). You can try to call the school that mentioned 75 above requirement on ADA, ask the admission office staff with the score you got, what is your chance to get into their program.
And... if you look back into ADA website, the question of the test they will ask on Part II exam, you will be surprise to find out ...40% form the test will ask about or related to Basic Sciences.
My point is, if you want to get a good score on part II, you are not only need to know about the clnical knowledge, but also Basic Sciences. Seems you need to know basic science well, why you try to refresh your memory by taking Part 1 again.
This is my suggestion, but you can also prepare for your part II and then back to part I again..

That's is my 2 cents, I understand your frustation, but don't give up...and god will always bless all of us.