preparing for PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptwanabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated last may and have been working and was recently accepted to PT school. I work construction and blew out my knee, I've been trying to find a less active job, but to no avail in the economy. Since I will be out for a while (2-3 months with surgery) I was thinking about spending some time studying to prepare/refresh my mind for the rigors was PT school. Right now I'm trying to build a solid anatomy and physiology base (learning all the landmarks and interactions of muscles nerves etc). Exactly how detailed is PT school anatomy/phys compared to your own personal undergrad experiences? What other material would be good for me to read up on?

any help from a current or past PT student would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you..

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a PT student and I think it's safe to say that the anatomy in PT school covers the Neuromusculoskeletal system in more depth than any professional field (MDs, PAs, ect will spend more time outside the NMSK system). With that said get to know your muscle names, origins, insertions, innervations, vascular supply, and function.
SUNY downstate has an AWESOME web application that takes you through the anatomy lab. http://ect.downstate.edu/courseware/haonline/index.htm

This will help you out IMMENSELY. Also contact your future PT program and see what anatomy book they use and get it now.

Sorry about your knee- get your quads and hip musculature strong and good luck to you and everyone starting PT school next year.

awesome, thank you! I appreciate the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
It definitely more clinically based.

In undergrad, a typical question would have been "what structures are located within the carpal tunnel?" whereas in PT school it's more like "if you have compression of the carpal tunnel, what symptoms may be present?"

I wouldn't stress out about studying, but if you're truly bored, I would brush up on innervations. It's super super super important!

Anatomy is going to be way more intense that what you had in undergrad. Like a previous poster said, you'll be going into the musculoskeletal system into much more detail than the programs for MD, DO, etc. They go much more into the abdominal, pelvic and thoracic cavity than PT students do. If you have time to kill and will go crazy if you don't do something productive while you are laid up, ask your dept what anatomy atlas they use and start looking at pictures and identifying muscles, come up with lists of muscle actions and innervations. I don't recommend reviewing specific attachment sites, but note where they are generally located (just get the big picture): different sources state different attachment sites and your program might want them known in a specific way. So kind of pointless to learn them from Netter's flashcards only to have to relearn them based on your professor's preference!

Don't kill yourself though. Enjoy your time off now, because you won't have it when school begins! Wishes for a speedy recovery!