Preparing for Step 1 during MS1 summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgalt42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm going to be an MS2. Apart from doing research this summer, I've been doing some studying for step 1. At first I didn't quite know how to begin, but I've been listening and outlining pathoma as well as revisiting renal and pulmonary physiology. I plan to also do some microbiology. The first block in MS2 is microbio. Am I on the right track for preparing? How much physiology is there in step 1? I'm trying to strike a balance btwn being productive in lab and board prep and some relaxing so I don't burn out.

Thanks for the guidance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd focus on the "relaxing" part of your plan. As long as you don't have major deficits from 1st year, no reason to get too wild with studying over the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question. Lots of people wait (I did) until 4-8 weeks out depending on your "drive",and if you want to finish the bank 2x (I did not, only did my incorrects, didn't feel like it affected my performance.)

You could also do a bit at a time throughout the year, which is good for some.

My personal opinion is wait until 2nd year is done or close to being done, and get yourself in test mode by going through blocks of random timed questions every day. You'll learn a lot and will be more confident as you move closer to taking your exam.

Just my two cents.

I think it's best to go through Uworld during 2nd year and annotate it into your first aid. It will save you tons of time. For example while you're in Renal finish up the Renal in Uworld and so forth.

Fellow MS1/MS2 here. I also planned to study this summer, but in reality ended up doing absolutely nothing. I even stopped coming on SDN. Probably not a coincidence.

Reactions: 1 users