preparing for the first years of pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShulaZ

Reaction score
Hello,

When I was studying biology at Georgia Tech, I knew I wanted to be a pharmacist. In the middle of my junior year, I got married. It was difficult, but I managed to graduate with a 3.8 GPA and two little kids. I still want to go to pharmacy school, and since I have a family to take care of, LECOM online program seems to be the only reasonable option. I want to wait a few years for my children to get older and use the time to start preparing for pharmacy school. Below I copied the list of courses for the first two years of LECOM distance education program. Can anyone please give me the names of textbooks that are used for any of the courses? You can just look at your syllabi I guess. I would order them now and spend my free time studying. I would appreciate any information you can give me, and that will really enable me to succeed.

P1 Fall

Pharmacy Drugs and Healthcare

Biochemistry I

Pharmaceutics w/lab I

Physiology and Anatomy

Pharmaceutical Calculations

P1 Spring

Biochemistry II

Microbiology and Immunology

Pharmacist Provided Care I

Pharmaceutics w/lab II

Pharmacy Law

Drug Information

Effective Communications

P2 Fall

IPPE Experience

Basic Pharmacokinetics

Research Methods and Pharmacoepidemiology

Pharmacist Provided Care II

Professional Elective

P2 Spring

Pharmacology/Medicinal Chemistry I

Drug Literature Evaluation

Clinical Skills

Pharmacotherapeutics I

Pharmacotherapeutics Recitation I

Pharmacy Practice Essentials I

Professional Elective

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You can get a PharmD online now? Oh Lord.

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
How would we know what text books you are supposed to buy? Maybe you should ask someone currently attending the online program.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

You can get an Nurse Practitioner degree online now, an actual primary care degree with many overlapping roles with primary care physician, nothing surprising about online PharmD programs ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

When I was studying biology at Georgia Tech, I knew I wanted to be a pharmacist. In the middle of my junior year, I got married. It was difficult, but I managed to graduate with a 3.8 GPA and two little kids. I still want to go to pharmacy school, and since I have a family to take care of, LECOM online program seems to be the only reasonable option. I want to wait a few years for my children to get older and use the time to start preparing for pharmacy school. Below I copied the list of courses for the first two years of LECOM distance education program. Can anyone please give me the names of textbooks that are used for any of the courses? You can just look at your syllabi I guess. I would order them now and spend my free time studying. I would appreciate any information you can give me, and that will really enable me to succeed.

P1 Fall

Biochemistry I

Pharmaceutics w/lab I

Physiology and Anatomy

P1 Spring

Biochemistry II

Pharmaceutics w/lab II

Pharmacy Law

Drug Information

Effective Communications

P2 Fall

IPPE Experience

Basic Pharmacokinetics

Professional Elective

P2 Spring

Clinical Skills

Pharmacotherapeutics I

Professional Elective

So you are not even applying or accepted? You won't be applying until 2022 or so and want to study ahead? Hey here is an idea, why don't you become a pharm tech for the time being? that would be a good use of your time since you will be getting paid, exposure to reality of retail pharmacy and get to talk to real pharmacists to see what they are going through.

Reactions: 16 users
Most schools don’t use too many, if any textbooks nowadays.... most use PowerPoint slides.

pharmacy school is a cake walk nowadays cause the students who are admitted aren’t smart enough, professors are forced to dumb everything down. I wouldn’t worry about passing, I’d worry about having an actual job. We had a poster, patopharmd who was living in Georgia and left pharmacy school after p1 bc he felt that he wouldn’t have a job. Pharmacy profession isn’t family friendly for most, you’ll be working a lot of night and weekend shifts if you’re working for a chain

Reactions: 4 users
Most schools don’t use too many, if any textbooks nowadays.... most use PowerPoint slides.

pharmacy school is a cake walk nowadays cause the students who are admitted aren’t smart enough, professors are forced to dumb everything down. I wouldn’t worry about passing, I’d worry about having an actual job. We had a poster, patopharmd who was living in Georgia and left pharmacy school after p1 bc he felt that he wouldn’t have a job. Pharmacy profession isn’t family friendly for most, you’ll be working a lot of night and weekend shifts if you’re working for a chain

True story: I had a few students from a new school who didn't know what Dipiro was.

• Wow
Spending $500-1,000 on textbooks each year and you're not even in a pharmacy program is not a bright idea.

By the time you get in the program, they will all be updated multiple times by then too.

Reactions: 8 users
The Creighton online program has a much better reputation than LECOM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

• Love
True story: I had a few students from a new school who didn't know what Dipiro was.

No. Way.

Did they know Koda-Kimble at least? I think UCSF used that nearly exclusively.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Your initiative is commendable, but ultimately unnecessary. No matter which school you apply to, they will be tech-savvy and use digital media (use of textbooks are on a steep decline). So, save your money there. Instead, bolster your application by gaining experience in both retail and hospital settings. On the job training will teach you the top 200 drugs, brand/generic, and the pharmacist(s) you work with will filter information for you.

As others above have mentioned, pharmacy is becoming increasingly competitive after you graduate and more than ever, the profession needs people who really want it as opposed to people who want an "easy job."

Hello,

P1 Fall

Biochemistry I

Pharmaceutics w/lab I

Physiology and Anatomy

P1 Spring

Biochemistry II

Pharmaceutics w/lab II

Pharmacy Law

Drug Information

Effective Communications

P2 Fall

IPPE Experience

Basic Pharmacokinetics

Professional Elective

P2 Spring

Clinical Skills

Pharmacotherapeutics I

Professional Elective
I wouldn't buy any books unless your professor makes you. I bought all the recommended books, now I have 3k worth of medical books. I carry them around from apartment to apartment. .they are..precious to me.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not a family friendly profession. You'll have to work second shift a lot which means you don't get home until your kids are in bed already. Who will watch them after they're home from school? Everyone requests school vacations, holidays, summers for vacation but there is not enough coverage for everyone to get what they want. You'll have to work holidays every year and definitely one or two weekends a month

A hospital where I worked had a second shift pharmacist meaning they only work second shift all the time. Guess which shift the new grads had to work?

Don't buy books simple. Schools vary but most don't use books. In my case, except for my P1 class where I needed 1 book (Which I got for free from a higher year student via pdf), I pretty much went through all of school using the class powerpoint slides, study guides made by classmates and semi-paying attention in class.

Heck, you don't even need much preparation going into pharmacy school because I pretty much went in after a 2 year break from school.

Would have to agree with others; hold off on buying books. While books are a somewhat dying form of reference, some of us still prefer books over powerpoints/lecture notes for more details and context. Might be worth investing some time in finding a part time gig as a pharmacy technician to have connections for getting an internship when the time comes....I'm not going over the whole "get out while you can/rethink what you are getting yourself into" as this topic is regularly beat to death on these forums

Those pharmacy practice/professional practice type classes should not count as "education", esp. for someone with that high of a GPA from GT. Most students acquire this info anyways from working as pharmacy technicians (a lot of common sense)

Reactions: 1 user
That's crazy that you guys aren't using books anymore in school. Highlighting and marking pages was always a part of studying for me.

Just completes the first semester of pharmacy school and a textbook was required for all of my classes. Not saying that I always used the required textbooks but they were part of the syllabus. Some classes I read the text and some I studied the power point.

To the OP, you wont necessarily know what the professor wants you to focus on in each of the classes so buying the textbooks will be a waste of money.

Also, you don't need to spend money on a textbook because there is always a free online PDF copy.

• Haha
Aside from working odd hours, many pharmacists and students have to move for jobs and rotations. They end up uprooting or being apart from their families.

LECOM online program seems to be the only reasonable option.

Creighton has an online program (may require two weeks or so for in-lab requirements out of the year)

I want to wait a few years for my children to get older and use the time to start preparing for pharmacy school.

The best way to prepare for pharmacy school over the next few years is to work as a technician. Go to your local library and look at any edition for the PTCE / PTCB guidelines to be a certified technician. Work as a tech and get familiar with the brand / generic of the top 200.

I copied the list of courses for the first two years of LECOM distance education program.

Waste of time. By the time you start, new editions may already be out (most get a new edition every 2 - 3 years). I only looked at 2 books of my 27 credit semester (one of which is worth keeping for counseling nonprescription purposes).

As everyone else has stated, work as a technician, get familiar with the pharmacy, get a good insight of what the overall job entails. I have a lot of classmates that have never stepped foot in a pharmacy and the difference for those who have is very noticeable.

You have travel to their Brandenton campus at the end of each year to complete all the labs. But they are accredited.

• Haha
You have travel to their Brandenton campus at the end of each year to complete all the labs. But they are accredited.

being accredited isn’t saying much... there are accredited schools who graduate 30-40 percent of students who can’t pass the board exam. Not saying that this will be you, but it doesn’t take much for a school to get accredited

Last edited:
That's crazy that you guys aren't using books anymore in school. Highlighting and marking pages was always a part of studying for me.

I find it that the same amount of time that it takes to finish reading a chapter - you can spend going over the power point slides 3-4 times that summarizes most key points...

there is no one size fits all, just different things work for different individuals.

Seriously, just enjoy your children now while they are little. Don't worry about pharmacy school until you actually start (and you will be accepted, everyone is accepted these days, although the on-line programs are more competitive.) Get a job as a technician, ideally in retail, so you know what you are actually signing up for. Bear in mind that anything and everything you've heard about pharmacy jobs from a pharmacy school recruiter is 99% untrue (possibly 100% untrue depending on the recruiter.) So you really need to get a job as a technician to see for yourself what the job is. Reading and learning is soooooo much more effective if you are working at the same time to see how it works in reality. If you insist on actually reading something ahead of applying (and I don't recommend this), I would go with

smile.amazon.com/McGraw-Hills-2020-2021-Pharmacy-Cards/dp/1260457761/

It's relative cheap, and learning the names/doses of drugs can help you as you work as a technician. Basic pharmacokinetics and drug information is included on the cards to give you a "head start" on pharmacy school, but honestly, most of it won't make any sense until you are immersed in the classes.

Just curious but what about studying biology attracted you to want to pursue pharmacy as a profession? Do you actually know what pharmacists do? Like someone has already mentioned, I'd recommend becoming a tech (retail setting) and observing first-hand what pharmacists do. If you even get a chance to land a job after, you'd most likely be in retail so don't enter pharmacy with the mindset of only doing hospital pharmacy.

Don't worry about buying books early, if you want something to do, learn Top 200 (brand, generic, use) which flash cards are pretty good. The only book that I generally recommend to buy for the usual required classes is the Ansel Pharmaceutical Calculations book as it turns out to be handy in Board studies as a well-written book for some of the odd calculations. I personally like the Pray Nonprescription Therapeutics as well though I cry at the stuff I used to be able to buy and can't anymore as FDA keeps taking things off the market.

As far as the Pharmacotherapy books, you could get through school without any of the two as it's debatable how many students actually read them (less than 5% is my guess from teaching).

Since you can't be persuaded by market conditions, the only thing to say is that if you do not work, you are not going to eat afterwards. It's getting to be a brutal market right now.

Get a job at a pharmacy at least 45 minutes one way from your home. Maybe 1.5 hrs. Then see what you think about pharmacy. It pains me but it's true.

Hello,

P1 Fall

Biochemistry I

Pharmaceutics w/lab I

Physiology and Anatomy

P1 Spring

Biochemistry II

Pharmaceutics w/lab II

Pharmacy Law

Drug Information

Effective Communications

P2 Fall

IPPE Experience

Basic Pharmacokinetics

Professional Elective

P2 Spring

Clinical Skills

Pharmacotherapeutics I

Professional Elective

Avoid pharmacy school. Go into plumbing; better hours, more stability, better job security and by far less studying needed.

• Okay...
Hello,

P1 Fall

Biochemistry I

Pharmaceutics w/lab I

Physiology and Anatomy

P1 Spring

Biochemistry II

Pharmaceutics w/lab II

Pharmacy Law

Drug Information

Effective Communications

P2 Fall

IPPE Experience

Basic Pharmacokinetics

Professional Elective

P2 Spring

Clinical Skills

Pharmacotherapeutics I

Professional Elective
Not much prep is needed. Pharmacy school is very doable if you put the time in. If you study 4 hours a day you should be able to get a GPA above 3.5 Just make sure you have access to Lexicomp and Wikipedia.

Hello,

P1 Fall

Biochemistry I

Pharmaceutics w/lab I

Physiology and Anatomy

P1 Spring

Biochemistry II

Pharmaceutics w/lab II

Pharmacy Law

Drug Information

Effective Communications

P2 Fall

IPPE Experience

Basic Pharmacokinetics

Professional Elective

P2 Spring

Clinical Skills

Pharmacotherapeutics I

Professional Elective

Well, since you came from Gatech, you must have heard of OMSCS, OMSA, OMS cybersecurity right?

I am very baffled here. My question is, why pharmacy? really, why pharmacy, especially when you still have several years before attending, and you came from a top engineering school, which offers fully accredited masters degrees in computer science, analytics and cybersecurity, delivered both on-campus and online? The total tuition cost for any of these programs will be less than 1 semester of LECOM. And you can probably start sooner, rather than waiting several years, and god knows how terrible the pharmacist job market will become when you graduate.

Since you had a respectable GPA of 3.8 at Gatech, why not med school? why not computer science, data science or cybersecurity? why pharmacy, which is very obvious now that it has a terribly poor return of investment?

Well, since you came from Gatech, you must have heard of OMSCS, OMSA, OMS cybersecurity right?

I am very baffled here. My question is, why pharmacy? really, why pharmacy, especially when you still have several years before attending, and you came from a top engineering school, which offers fully accredited masters degrees in computer science, analytics and cybersecurity, delivered both on-campus and online? The total tuition cost for any of these programs will be less than 1 semester of LECOM. And you can probably start sooner, rather than waiting several years, and god knows how terrible the pharmacist job market will become when you graduate.

Since you had a respectable GPA of 3.8 at Gatech, why not med school? why not computer science, data science or cybersecurity? why pharmacy, which is very obvious now that it has a terribly poor return of investment?

Seriously GA Tech has a great online comp sci master's program. An online degree makes sense for comp sci, for pharmacy not so much.

Seriously GA Tech has a great online comp sci master's program. An online degree makes sense for comp sci, for pharmacy not so much.

Gatech OMSCS recently reported 120k median salary and 190k top 5% salary stats, along with 95%+ job placement rates.
The whole program costs like 6k, if I remember correct?

The best thing you could do to prepare is get a job as a pharmacy technician.

Get a job at a pharmacy at least 45 minutes one way from your home. Maybe 1.5 hrs. Then see what you think about pharmacy. It pains me but it's true.
I'm about 50 mins away from my pharmacy. I LOVE my job lol I listen to my fav youtube channels (no i don't watch haha) on my way to work and time flies. Love my little indie pharmacy and 50 min drive is totally worth it.

Commuting distance does "sting" a bit more when you despise your job. Try a job with a big chain (Walgreens, CVS) and see if you still enjoy the commute. My last retail job had a 40 min commute and it felt like walking to the electric chair.

• Haha
Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from working odd hours, many pharmacists and students have to move for jobs and rotations. They end up uprooting or being apart from their families.
Since that pharmacy salaries are so low now I bet it is no longer ideal for families to move. Wages have dropped to the $40s/hr in many areas. I have friends with bachelor's or master's making more money than that minus the massive student debt. It is becoming more and more likely now that your spouse will make more money than you can as a pharmacist, so it would not make sense for the breadwinner of your family to leave their job so you co make a measly salary. What I've seen from new grads recently is that many will work whatever part-time or per diem they can get in their area. Although recently we did have someone interview for a per diem position at my tiny ass rural hospital - you could get anywhere from 0 to like 64 hours per month. Still he was willing to leave his family and the big city for the opportunity to have this "experience". Lol more like he can't get a job anywhere where and is willing to move 400 miles away for a job with zero guaranteed hours.

Since that pharmacy salaries are so low now I bet it is no longer ideal for families to move. Wages have dropped to the $40s/hr in many areas. I have friends with bachelor's or master's making more money than that minus the massive student debt. It is becoming more and more likely now that your spouse will make more money than you can as a pharmacist, so it would not make sense for the breadwinner of your family to leave their job so you co make a measly salary. What I've seen from new grads recently is that many will work whatever part-time or per diem they can get in their area. Although recently we did have someone interview for a per diem position at my tiny ass rural hospital - you could get anywhere from 0 to like 64 hours per month. Still he was willing to leave his family and the big city for the opportunity to have this "experience". Lol more like he can't get a job anywhere where and is willing to move 400 miles away for a job with zero guaranteed hours.
is $40/hr for starting salary only? or are other pharmacists taking a pay cut to go from $60 to $40?

I'm still seeing $55+ salaries on Indeed...

is $40/hr for starting salary only? or are other pharmacists taking a pay cut to go from $60 to $40?

Depends on your area but they are trending down. $50/hr seems to be the starting wage for new hires now. If you quit your current job, you'll lose the high salary and vacation time and start over.

Haven't heard of anyone taking a pay cut. I just talked to a recent graduate who said her classmates were getting offers in the mid to high 40s which is like 10 less than what I was offered a few years ago. I heard similar things from my friend working in California.

Don’t even go to pharmacy school without having first-hand knowledge of what the profession is really like. Be a volunteer or work as a technician. That’s what I did. Why would you ever spend $200,000 on a sports car without test driving it? It amazes me at how so many people are absolutely clueless about the pharmacy profession before they rack up $200,000 in student loans and still can’t find a job.

Don’t even go to pharmacy school without having first-hand knowledge of what the profession is really like. Be a volunteer or work as a technician. That’s what I did. Why would you ever spend $200,000 on a sports car without test driving it? It amazes me at how so many people are absolutely clueless about the pharmacy profession before they rack up $200,000 in student loans and still can’t find a job.

Many students spend more time researching on which $20,000 car or $1000 smartphone to buy than their $200,000 degree they want to get.

Many students spend more time researching on which $20,000 car or $1000 smartphone to buy than their $200,000 degree they want to get.

LoL so true. Seems like a lot of people do zero research about this profession. They spend more time deciding which outfit to wear for the day.

I think the majority of these pre-pharm students are not uninformed, but are misinformed.

I think the majority of these pre-pharm students are not uninformed, but are misinformed.
Doesn't help when every school website has picture of pharmacists holding up test tubes and Erlenmeyer flasks