preparing for the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

henrylu86

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. My grades are pretty good, but I don't think my interviewing skills are that good. What should I do to prepare for it or try to improve at interviewing?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

henrylu86 said:
Hey guys. My grades are pretty good, but I don't think my interviewing skills are that good. What should I do to prepare for it or try to improve at interviewing?
Thanks.

Some colleges have interviewing skills clinics in their career development offices. If you have a connection with a Doc try to set up a moc interview with them. read the interview reviews so you know what to expect generally as questions and read up on current medical events abit so that you're able to discuss them fairly easily. I dunno, that's what I did and I didnt get in the first time around, so maybe I'm not the best to give advice!

There are many places to obtain lists of common interview questions (this site's interview feedback, your pre-med advisor, etc). I'd say a low-stress way to get started is take a list and discuss your thoughts and opinions with a friend. That way, you'll have thought through each of the questions without feeling like you're on the spot.

And then later, maybe have an imposing-looking friend ask you some questions just to make you feel like you're on the spot :)

Members don't see this ad :)
henrylu86 said:
Thanks.

first try reading books like i did. when you realize that books don't work, try getting friends/family/random people on the bus/the bum that moves from bench to bench on the same street to help give mock interviews like i will in the near future

Wow, I didn't even know we had an interview feedback site. That's really cool. Thanks a lot! :)

practice in front of the mirror.. looking yourself in the eye is such an awkward feeling, but you get a good sense of your posture, demeanor, and sincerity..

boonguh said:
practice in front of the mirror.. looking yourself in the eye is such an awkward feeling, but you get a good sense of your posture, demeanor, and sincerity..

Mirror works. Videotape is better if its an option -- you may have nervous ticks and mannerisms you can improve upon. Definitely go over your contemplated answers to the more common questions OUT LOUD and in front of friends and family (even better if any are in the medical field and might have some insight). And public speaking classes, Dale Carnegie, Toastmasters, etc. will help you get more comfortable speaking in front of strangers if that is a weakness.

I printed questions from Interview Feedback at SDN and had my mom grill me every night during our walk after dinner. It really helped.

my freshman year in college, i had to have a mock interview for one of my classes. It was at our career center and they videotaped us. I can't believe some of the things I said, and the way I laughed! haha It was so weird watching myself but I definitely picked up on what I needed to improve, like my language, little mannerisms etc. I would totally recommend using a videotape.

find a list of commonly asked med interview questions (search online, check interview feedback on this site, maybe check with your school's pre-med office). then do mock interviews with friends who are also applying to med school. it's a little awkward at first, but i think it can be very helpful. besides, it's free and you don't have to bother scheduling appointments and stuff. good luck.

i went through a lot of corporate on-campus interviews (i.e. with Shell, Dupont, etc.) right before my med school interviews began. they're much different and usually a lot more impersonal, but they seemed to help a lot.

ramblinwreckie said:
i went through a lot of corporate on-campus interviews (i.e. with Shell, Dupont, etc.) right before my med school interviews began. they're much different and usually a lot more impersonal, but they seemed to help a lot.

Any kind of interview would help - doesn't need to be medicine specific, because a lot of the skill involved is being able to convey excitement and interest (about anything) to a stranger, and to be able to think on your feet and answer a question you hadn't expected or really thought about without appearing flustered. Thus I'm of the belief that non-traditionals sometimes have a huge advantage if they get to the interview stage, because anyone who has gone for job interviews has already hopefully worked out a lot of the kinks. Interviewing is totally a learnable skill for most, and practice of any kind helps a lot. But if you just wing it, it often shows.

Besides interview feedback and your career center, a good resource with sample possible interview questions is in a book by Kaplan........

Its called "Get into med school: A strategic Approach" you can find it at any barnes and nobles or borders, or can order it online from amazon, barnesandnobles, etc.

It has a chapter dedicated to interviews, that will be worthwhile looking through.

Oh and if you took the Kaplan MCAT course, you can get that same chapter's worth of info from a book they give all their students called the Med school application workbook.