Preparing for the move

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applepark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people.

I'm curious to know how people are moving their stuff to Ireland? Shipping via boat, air or just taking as little as possible and starting completely anew. Is there a tax for bring stuff in even when we are "immigrating" (although not really) to Ireland? If anyone has shipped their belongings please post via what route and the approximate cost and any legal things anyone would need to know (ie customs, etc...)

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

there isn't a tax. Most people brought their most important things in the 2 suitcases you're allowed to fly over. Then bought when they got here, or waited til they returned home for Christmas or if their parents came for visits to retrieve other things that they wanted. Some people did ship books...but that's rare. one of my friends did a book rate shipping by boat (took like 4 weeks), and dumped all his books in one of their burlap sacks...but I don't really know too much about that option.

I also have a Q about electrical appliances. I haven't travelled to Europe but I heard that England and Ireland use 240 V...could someone verify that? And have any of you guys brought over electrical things such as ipod speakers, electrical shavers, etc? Since the cost of living is expensive, I'm guessing buying things like that in ireland will also be expensive...so it'll be good take them with us if they'll work over there.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
For all major appliances/electronics (computers, digital cameras, ipods, etc.) they cover international voltage. Most shavers should too. Your appliance will tell you...look for AC 100-240V 50/60 Hz in input on the battery of your appliance. That will tell you it can be used internationally.