Preparing for the new version of the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CinnamonTeal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you planning on re-taking with the new version, and thinking about NOT taking a prep course, how will you prepare? I already took all of the AAMC practice exams the first time around and don't know how helpful taking them again will be. I guess it makes sense to keep using the books everyone recommends and find practice tests on discs to practice taking them on the computer? Have people found it useful to take the AAMC exams again?

How are you guys planning on doing it?

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC tests are a very good resource and though the test format is changed you dont need to worry about the material provided. If you are confident with the material, then try to get used to the CBT format. Though you have taken all the tests before, it will be a good idea to retake them since it will help you with the practice also.

There are some good practice tests available online that you can try to get used to the CBT format. The more you practice the better you are prepared for the real deal.

Does anyone know if the specific format of the sections has been released(the test is shorter know, so I'm wondering how many passages there are vs. discrete questions for the science sections) ?

I've heard that there is a possibility that the free-standing questions will be removed entirely. While this SUCKS big time, remember that it will suck all around, so there is no sense in complaining. But go ahead and do it anyways, I would :D

Beyond that, the amount of time per question on the two science sections will be the same. For the verbal section you get like 10-15 seconds more per question I believe.

The number of questions per passage on average will remain the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that there is a possibility that the free-standing questions will be removed entirely. While this SUCKS big time, remember that it will suck all around, so there is no sense in complaining. But go ahead and do it anyways, I would :D

Has there been any word of this on the AAMC site?

eh that would suck, I hate to just dive into passages, and I like to wake my brain up with some discretes first. But whatever, thanks for the info.

For those of you planning on re-taking with the new version, and thinking about NOT taking a prep course, how will you prepare? I already took all of the AAMC practice exams the first time around and don't know how helpful taking them again will be. I guess it makes sense to keep using the books everyone recommends and find practice tests on discs to practice taking them on the computer? Have people found it useful to take the AAMC exams again?

How are you guys planning on doing it?

I'm going to use books and materials I didn't use before. And am going to go crazy studying verbal this time.
:luck:

So I guess there hasn't been any update on the possible # of passages, etc, for the different sections?

it's shortened by a 3rd, so maybe instead of 10-11 psges, around 7 psges for sciences? just my guess. The # of questions os 52 for PS, 40 for VR and 52 for BS.

So I guess there hasn't been any update on the possible # of passages, etc, for the different sections?