Preparing to meet with Advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Truelotus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings Friends,

I am prepping to meet with my adviser. I would like to have a list/agenda of topics to discuss with her. I am sure that there is a checklist or document somewhere that will help you prepare to meet with your adviser. Does anyone have suggestion?

Thanks!
True

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
know that JHSPH has a Goals Analysis worksheet to help students plan their MPH education/career goals. But, I could not pull it off the web without being a Hopkins student. Any Hopkins students wanna share?

Greetings Friends,

I am prepping to meet with my adviser. I would like to have a list/agenda of topics to discuss with her. I am sure that there is a checklist or document somewhere that will help you prepare to meet with your adviser. Does anyone have suggestion?

Thanks!
True

The pre-assigned advisor system sometimes pairs a student and advisor who work together chemistry-wise, other times, the student will gravitate to another faculty member who either is more helpful (perhaps due to time constraints), and/or has more similar career goals outlook.

A good place to start a conversation might be to ask the advisor what students often wish they knew right off the bat, or how you could best excel as a student in your given area of interest. If the advisor kinda doesn't respond to open-ended questions, then maybe just ask a few curriculum/procedural questions, and then follow-up via email with more questions later on.

I don't think it's something you have to nail right off the bat.

Last edited: