Prepare for MPH with a non life-science BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

econfailure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am currently a junior Business Admin student with a pretty low gpa (a bit below 3.0) for a variety of reasons- I believe I can raise it above by graduation time. My concentration is in quantitative economics, and I have been taking very statistical-minded upper level economic courses (econometrics, probability models for economics, etc.) in hopes to follow a research based career after I graduate . My goal is to go for the MPH- global health or epidemiology at UW (I will live in Seattle after graduation anyway)

However, the problem is my lack of science- I have taken one intro BIO course, despite receiving an A grade. In addition, I have no research experience. For those of you that weren't undergrad science majors how do you go about getting health-related research?

I want to start preparing for the MPH program at UW now and start planning for after graduation- and confused how to go about it. I have plenty of ideas for after graduation, the top one: being a non matriculated student & take the grad pre-reqs for global health, eventually applying for the grad program. However, I really need advice here for what to do now. My school, and the advising resources here aren't so great for health professions (and doesn't even have a public health program).

Members don't see this ad.

the best way is to contact the school and see what they'd recommend you to do to boost your chance in getting into their program. if uw is where you want to go, call them up instead of trying to guess what you can do to help your chances.

Hello everyone,
I am currently a junior Business Admin student with a pretty low gpa (a bit below 3.0) for a variety of reasons- I believe I can raise it above by graduation time. My concentration is in quantitative economics, and I have been taking very statistical-minded upper level economic courses (econometrics, probability models for economics, etc.) in hopes to follow a research based career after I graduate . My goal is to go for the MPH- global health or epidemiology at UW (I will live in Seattle after graduation anyway)

However, the problem is my lack of science- I have taken one intro BIO course, despite receiving an A grade. In addition, I have no research experience. For those of you that weren't undergrad science majors how do you go about getting health-related research?

I want to start preparing for the MPH program at UW now and start planning for after graduation- and confused how to go about it. I have plenty of ideas for after graduation, the top one: being a non matriculated student & take the grad pre-reqs for global health, eventually applying for the grad program. However, I really need advice here for what to do now. My school, and the advising resources here aren't so great for health professions (and doesn't even have a public health program).

I sent you a PM.