Prepharm Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUPharmStuD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone at SDN!!, I've been browsing this website for a few days now and everything i've came across was very informative and a good learning experience. Unfortunately, i have a few questions that i would like to get answers to, and what better way to do it then to ask the experts here :D

Firstly, let me start off my stating that i graduated High School in '08 and will be attending Rutgers University Pre-Pharmacy program this fall. Because the Pharmacy school at Rutgers is hard to get into as a Transfer Student, i am going to search for other options to do my graduate pharmacy schooling if everyone works out well. Enough about that, I am currently work in a pharmacy as a tech and want to pursue pharmacy as my career.

On with the few questions that i have:

1) PharmCAS, When should i start to use this system?
2) When should i start to apply to Pharmacy schools (Not waiting for BA Degree)
3) When is the best time to prepare and to take the PCATs?

Members don't see this ad.

If webadmin can change the Thread Title to something appropriate as i accidentally pressed enter to submit--sorry--

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks but i guess no1 wants to answer ^^,, ill look around more

Pharmcas will open up june the year before you apply. Assuming you are on track to do ALL of you pre-req's in 2 years, apply after completing your first year of schooling. Most of the people on SDN, and even that apply in general, have completed more than 2 years though, lots have 4 year degrees.

PCAT is generally taken sometime around the year you start using pharmcas. You would technicaly want to finish your science, math, and maybe english courses before taking it though. Or at least most of them. Hopefully that helps you out some. I think most people weren't replying cause some of this stuff is either in older threads or even in the FAQ sections. Read those and you can get more specific info.

Take the PCAT earlier rather than later. You want plenty of time in case you need to study for a few months and retake it.

As a side note, even though you didn't ask, it's never too early to build a relationship with your professors. Those recommendations sneak up on you and you want to make sure that the professor who recommends you is someone who can really say good things about you and not just something generic and mediocre.

Take the PCAT earlier rather than later. You want plenty of time in case you need to study for a few months and retake it.

As a side note, even though you didn't ask, it's never too early to build a relationship with your professors. Those recommendations sneak up on you and you want to make sure that the professor who recommends you is someone who can really say good things about you and not just something generic and mediocre.

From personal experience, I CANNOT agree more. Though I am really close with the professors I am using as my LOR's, you should speak with them in the spring before pharmcas opens and get their personal email address and possibly phone number. PHarmcas opens in June, but a lot of professors are gone all summer. By the time they get back and complete your LOR, you've missed out on month or 2 of possible time for rolling admission or maybe an early decision school.

Good call Tahi! :thumbup: