Prepharmacy advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vasoolraja

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Friends, I work full time and I am taking pre requisite courses from a community college and also from a University. One of the students in the University who aspires to be a pharmacist told me that she has an advisor who guides her regarding pre requisite courses, and she suggested me that I too seek the advisor's help. I was wondering if I need to meet the advisor. What's your recommendation - should I have an advisor? Is it mandatory? What are the advantages of having an advisor?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
 
The advantage of having an advisor at your school is they know about school events, groups, projects, research opportunities, etc. They're someone who can not only provide good general advice (like on SDN), but they can tell you about what else you can do in your area.

Do you need an advisor? I don't think so. I formally met with my advisor pretty much twice altogether. Once as an introduction and once to say thanks.

To be honest, I would grade the advisor like this: if they are more helpful to you than SDN, then 👍

If they try to sell you a ration of goods that sounds kinda iffy, do your due diligence and decide if you really want to take advice from them. More than one person on here has been steered wrong (like being told to take a Biology or Chemistry course that blatantly doesn't fit the pharmacy pre-reqs).
 
Hi Friends, I work full time and I am taking pre requisite courses from a community college and also from a University. One of the students in the University who aspires to be a pharmacist told me that she has an advisor who guides her regarding pre requisite courses, and she suggested me that I too seek the advisor's help. I was wondering if I need to meet the advisor. What's your recommendation - should I have an advisor? Is it mandatory? What are the advantages of having an advisor?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Not really mandatory, but any type of help on your journey to pharmacy school is welcome. Instead of your school advisor, you can also have a sit down with an advisor at the pharmacy school you are interested in attending. if so, adcoms can put a face to the name on the application, when deciding interviews...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not really mandatory, but any type of help on your journey to pharmacy school is welcome. Instead of your school advisor, you can also have a sit down with an advisor at the pharmacy school you are interested in attending. if so, adcoms can put a face to the name on the application, when deciding interviews...

Are the advisors at pharmacy colleges part of the admission department. I mean the ones that eventually review your application and interview you?