USMLE Prepping for 3rd attempt. Desperate.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted699098

Psychiatry PGY3 here.

Attempt one Christmas week 2018.
Did UWorld 3 QBank, half-assed UWorld CCS & Biostats, went through MTBs. Halfway through Day 2 I knew I was failing. Sure did (187).

Attempt two April 17 & 19.
Re-did UWorld 3 twice (had most questions near memorized), went through UWorld CCS twice, really dug into MTBs, read Step 3 Secrets, did Online MedEd for my weaker topics, got a 204 on UWorld Self-Assess module #2. Felt significantly better throughout both test days. Got my results earlier today — failed with a 193.

What now?

My current study resources/plan includes:

CCSCases.com
Kaplan Step 3 QBank
UWorld Step 2 CK QBank
Rerun of UWorld CCS cases & QBank (I know them pretty much by heart at this point)
Books: First Aid, Secrets, Master The Boards
OnlineMedEd vids PRN for weaker topics

Fortunately my program's only requirement is that I pass Step 3 before graduation, so no pressure on that end.

Plan on taking it June/July 2020.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, man. PGY-2 here also, just got my results. Passed. But this was the scariest exam out of all: so vague, so few questions that i knew the answer to, but mostly it was a pure guessing. As a result you leave the test center devastated, praying for the best. I feel like the exam is not easy for us, those who is not in IM, FM or EM ( those who do this on a daily basis). In my place, if you must complete Step 3 by the end of PGY-2, no exceptions. To my knowledge ACGME allows to take it by the end of PGY-3 ( this is for sure for IMGs). So, clarify this with your program, communication would be the key. There are ways for you still to take it. I am not a big expert, but what i have learned: CCS is a must. Check out your CCS performance. You can't pass this test until you will do well on. It will overcompensate for the sh...ty part of Day 1 and MCQ of Dy 2. Each case gives 2 to 2,5 points to your score overall. So do the math! UW CCS part is good, but i feel like ccscases software is much better tool to train you doing cases quickly and correctly. This was the best invested $70 ever. The software gives you the fool report on your performance after you complete every case. Some of them were sort of "icky", yet it does the job. Tested by thousand of test takers and it seems to be working. I mean, it just my opinion, but CCS is the key to success. BY now you know enoght for the question part, but probably did not do well enough in CCS. I hope this help! Good luck. You have no choice, but to continue until you succeed. One more thing: you actually have to DO cases, like clicking, paying with software. Reading them from UW CCS or reading "Secrets" is not enough!!!

Sorry, man. PGY-2 here also, just got my results. Passed. But this was the scariest exam out of all: so vague, so few questions that i knew the answer to, but mostly it was a pure guessing. As a result you leave the test center devastated, praying for the best. I feel like the exam is not easy for us, those who is not in IM, FM or EM ( those who do this on a daily basis). In my place, if you must complete Step 3 by the end of PGY-2, no exceptions. To my knowledge ACGME allows to take it by the end of PGY-3 ( this is for sure for IMGs). So, clarify this with your program, communication would be the key. There are ways for you still to take it. I am not a big expert, but what i have learned: CCS is a must. Check out your CCS performance. You can't pass this test until you will do well on. It will overcompensate for the sh...ty part of Day 1 and MCQ of Dy 2. Each case gives 2 to 2,5 points to your score overall. So do the math! UW CCS part is good, but i feel like ccscases software is much better tool to train you doing cases quickly and correctly. This was the best invested $70 ever. The software gives you the fool report on your performance after you complete every case. Some of them were sort of "icky", yet it does the job. Tested by thousand of test takers and it seems to be working. I mean, it just my opinion, but CCS is the key to success. BY now you know enoght for the question part, but probably did not do well enough in CCS. I hope this help! Good luck. You have no choice, but to continue until you succeed. One more thing: you actually have to DO cases, like clicking, paying with software. Reading them from UW CCS or reading "Secrets" is not enough!!!

Thanks a ton! Luckily, my program is ok with taking Step 3 as late as PGY4, so that’s one less thing to worry about.
Sounds like that CCS software is one more thing I need to add this time. And I’m adding Step 2 CK as well.
Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, biostat would be a great help, and i would never skip it in preparation, like some do. In my score it was on the lowest end togetehr with nervous system. Then again, it can be compensated by the rest of subjects.

Biostats definitely is one of my weaker parts. I’m inclined to think CCS is what broke me, since my UWorld self assessment was a pass, as were my UWorld QBank scores.

I realized, that UW is great for dissecting CCS part, but when it comes to DOING cases, it just now enough, because clicking on tabs, going back and force, remembering to put HCG for a female, or to put silly counseling on 2 min screen with proper vaccinations if someone over 65 ( pneumococcal, shingles etc) or PAP, mammography for the relevant population.... it all adds up... So, ccscases software (ccscases.com) may be not perfect, but it will train you well enough to put all these minor things together and to score well enough to pass. CCS is a big part which can turn around your exam. Bottom line: thinking you know how to put together ccs case and to get it to the point of automatically putting standard parts using the real tool for me made a big difference. Good luck!

Last edited:
I felt like I was guessing on a lot of mcq, but not as much on biostats. Biostats is very learnable, you just have to make sure you understand the PDF on Uworld pretty much perfectly. And the biostats questions as well. Doing well on CCS is very helpful too of course.

Biostats definitely is one of my weaker parts. I’m inclined to think CCS is what broke me, since my UWorld self assessment was a pass, as were my UWorld QBank scores.
How did the CCS assessment "bar" look on your exam report?

Dont waste your money on people who will tutor you for like $100 an hour or whatever they charge. Feel free to PM me.

Basically I failed 6 times and was allowed to take it again because I complained that the CCS was slow on my 6th and final attempt.

I dont have time to type everything now but in short, you need to ace the CCS. Do USMLEWORLD CCS as many times as you can. Do Archer review for CCS. Basically you need to work your ass off to make sure that your CCS score is off the charts. A great CCS score will boost your score and will help you pass despite a borderline performance on the question part of the exam.

The MCQs are hard to study for. You need to at least to do borderline on most of the subjects to be safe and boost your score with a great CCS performance to put you over the passing mark.

Most of your effort needs to be placed in the CCS. I would recommend you to go back to Step 2 CK QBank and do those questions over again in your weak areas. Your foundation is weak and thats why you are scoring low. Get your foundation strong with studying for CK over again. I know this is a lot of work but its what you got to do to pass.

I would focus on your weak subjects for MCQs and hit them hard by going over the subjects again in CK and do UWOrld Step 2 CK and then follow that up with Step 3 UWorld. Its a lot of work as I mentioned but I would focus on your weak areas at least to get all your performance profiles for each subject crossing the borderling shaded region.

Feel free to PM me. I know how you feel. I was depressed and I almost quit medicine altogether but its really how you approach the exam that matters and of course hard work from here on out.

CCS is key as I mentioned. You need to get your performance in CCS to the far right in the higher performance area. You MCQ performance bars should cross the borderline performance of the score report. You might even be able to get away with a lower performance on MCQs if you seriously crush the CCS but to be on the safe side I would aim for borderline performance on all subjects.

Study for biostats as well. Its something you can do OK to well in if you study.

BY THE WAY I AM IN PATHOLOGY AND I MANAGED TO PASS IT AND SO WILL YOU.

Dont pay for people who offer their tutor services to you. You can do it on your own by studying.

Reactions: 2 users
I am in a similar situation and would be glad to talk to you, I am taking it for the third time soon. I failed twice by one point the last time. Thanks!

One point? Sheesh just focus on CCS and kill that son of a ...... like I said your ccs performance should be as far right as possible. I don’t think you will fail if you ave the ccs this time around. Most ccs cases come from uworld. If not you have to know what orders to place for a complaint.

You may get 1-3 cases not from uworld but if you know how to workup and treat the condition then you should be ok.

They also want to see that you know how to workup a patient not just treat.

Dont waste your money on people who will tutor you for like $100 an hour or whatever they charge. Feel free to PM me.

Basically I failed 6 times and was allowed to take it again because I complained that the CCS was slow on my 6th and final attempt.

I dont have time to type everything now but in short, you need to ace the CCS. Do USMLEWORLD CCS as many times as you can. Do Archer review for CCS. Basically you need to work your ass off to make sure that your CCS score is off the charts. A great CCS score will boost your score and will help you pass despite a borderline performance on the question part of the exam.

The MCQs are hard to study for. You need to at least to do borderline on most of the subjects to be safe and boost your score with a great CCS performance to put you over the passing mark.

Most of your effort needs to be placed in the CCS. I would recommend you to go back to Step 2 CK QBank and do those questions over again in your weak areas. Your foundation is weak and thats why you are scoring low. Get your foundation strong with studying for CK over again. I know this is a lot of work but its what you got to do to pass.

I would focus on your weak subjects for MCQs and hit them hard by going over the subjects again in CK and do UWOrld Step 2 CK and then follow that up with Step 3 UWorld. Its a lot of work as I mentioned but I would focus on your weak areas at least to get all your performance profiles for each subject crossing the borderling shaded region.

Feel free to PM me. I know how you feel. I was depressed and I almost quit medicine altogether but its really how you approach the exam that matters and of course hard work from here on out.

CCS is key as I mentioned. You need to get your performance in CCS to the far right in the higher performance area. You MCQ performance bars should cross the borderline performance of the score report. You might even be able to get away with a lower performance on MCQs if you seriously crush the CCS but to be on the safe side I would aim for borderline performance on all subjects.

Study for biostats as well. Its something you can do OK to well in if you study.

BY THE WAY I AM IN PATHOLOGY AND I MANAGED TO PASS IT AND SO WILL YOU.

Dont pay for people who offer their tutor services to you. You can do it on your own by studying.
Hey thanks for the advice. I'm still waiting for my score tmr but i felt horrible coming out from exam day 1 and 2... if i ever need to retake it, i will definitely PM you. I'm FM PGY1 expecting score release tmr

Psychiatry PGY2 here.

Did UWorld 3 QBank, half-assed UWorld CCS & Biostats, went through MTBs. Halfway through Day 2 I knew I was failing. Sure did (187).

Re-did UWorld 3 twice (had most questions near memorized), went through UWorld CCS twice, really dug into MTBs, read Step 3 Secrets, did Online MedEd for my weaker topics, got a 204 on UWorld Self-Assess module #2. Felt significantly better throughout both test days. Got my results earlier today — failed with a 193.

What now?
I'm in pretty much same situation as you. It was my first attempt and I failed. I thought I would pass without problem. I guess I will need to study again and take it in 1-2 months. When are you planning on retaking your exam?

I'm in pretty much same situation as you. It was my first attempt and I failed. I thought I would pass without problem. I guess I will need to study again and take it in 1-2 months. When are you planning on retaking your exam?

I'm looking at late November, starting studying June 1st. Giving myself double the study time I did for the two failed attempts. Luckily our program is putting zero pressure on us to take it in a given time frame.

Psychiatry PGY2 here.

What now?
I was trying to PM you but wasn't able. Just sending some positive support.

This exam is not as easy as people have said... The CCS part is arguably the easiest section in the exam. People better master the CCS portion because it will save you.

Reactions: 2 users