prepping for a 3 unit bridge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any good suugestion for cutting a prep for a 3 unit bridge for 6-8?
i am able to cut the prep in the lab using a surveyor to make sure that bith #6 and #8 are in the same path of draw. however, i am wondering if you have any tricks or ideas as how you'd do that upstairs in the clinics since you cant the the surveyor in somebody;s mouth?
i know that with experience you could simply eye ball it. but i'd like to hear how you DD3 and DD4s do it.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd just eyeball it, but if you're really concerned about draw you can take an alginate, pour it up with quick set stone, and survey that.

I hold up a perio probe adjacent to the walls prepped and it makes it easier to see if your path of withdrawel is over/under tapered sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)
kato999 said:
I hold up a perio probe adjacent to the walls prepped and it makes it easier to see if your path of withdrawel is over/under tapered sometimes.

If you've got a study model, make a clear suck down of the pre-prep teeth, then after prepping the teeth in the patients mouth, before you make your temp, place the clear full sized model over the prepped teeth. I found it alot easier to visually check path of draw this way and at the same time you can verify that you have adequate reduction of the teeth :thumbup:

You can also try using lab putty (such as sil-tech or something similar). Make an impression of the quadrant your working on on top of a model pre-op, assuming you have one. Once it hardens, pull it and slice it down the middle length-wise... then you can place it in the mouth on the lingual side, and observe where the teeth were normally, and compare them to the placement of your preps. This is also useful for veneers.