Prepping for intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elahuhu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that someone tried starting this thread before... but now that the post-match glow is up, I'm starting to wonder what I need to do in the next few months so that on July 1st I don't look like a complete jagoff (I know that I'll be lost, just don't want to be totally screwed).

Anyone with any thoughts? Someone suggested the Wash Manual Intern's survival guide... any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Congrats to everyone on matching; sounds like people are going to some awesome places!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't seen the Wash Manual Guide, but Medicine On Call is pretty darn good. Another good little book for when you start off is CCS Publishing's Medicine, a little bluish book that has sample notes and admission orders-- invaluable for those first few ward months.

Any further thoughts on this one? I'm also not quite sure what to read in the next few months. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
K-

Members don't see this ad :)
How about the HOUSE OF GOD! Thats a really great ispirational book to read right before your internship...:)
How about some nonmedical books that you've always wanted to read but havent had the time or to broaden some horizons...:D

Do not read or prepare for your internship. There is no way to prepare for the pain and horror that awaits you. Enjoy your free time.
If you really want to read something, then grab a Medical Student's survival guide by Steven R. Polk- it will tell you what you really need to know.

Read "Being Peace" by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Seriously though, for current interns/residents, how much time a week would you say you study? I know, I know the usual stuff applies - you will be too busy, and you should do other stuff with your free time, and that it varies with each person/program. But assuming average hours of work each week, can someone mention how much they study?

Reminds of a time not too long ago, when I was thinking along similar lines. What to study, what to prepare, yak yak yak. Let's just say that the first couple of months are like a reverie, one is trying to find their place in the scheme of things and figuring out the personalities of the attendings etc. No amount of reading will prepare you for that. My advice would be to just relax, perhaps take a vacation, read books (Non fiction, hopefully).
One point I'd like to make, and this can never be overemphasized. Be nice to nurses!!!!! I've seen my fellow interns get nary an hour of sleep per night due to their arrogant attitude(s).
As far reading during residency is concerned, I usually get about 1-2 hours of reading per day, on average.
hth

being nice to the nurses is key.

as a result of my being extremely nice to the nurses, they do things for me that they don't do for the other interns (e.g. draw blood cultures, place dobhoff tubes, etc).

this saves me lots of time for more important tasks like paging surgery over and over until someone calls back.

Originally posted by Pinky
being nice to the nurses is key.

as a result of my being extremely nice to the nurses, they do things for me that they don't do for the other interns (e.g. draw blood cultures, place dobhoff tubes, etc).

this saves me lots of time for more important tasks like paging surgery over and over until someone calls back.

I feel your pain bro!

This is most important in our VA rotations were nurses can be a real pain. On every floor I have my "go-to" nurses that I can call up and get things done.

And studies: not more than 2-3 hrs a week on floor months, and about an hour a day on electives.