Intern Year Survival Guide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clarus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any resources that current seniors or attendings have that helped them get through their intern years?

Members don't see this ad.

are you an upcoming intern ? Buy (or find a pdf …) if gomela clinicians pocket reference aka the scutmonkey book . It goes over nuts and bolts and is a form of internet survival guide in a sense . Ultimately nothing substitutes for just doing it and taking the lead from your senior resident . But if are a learner who gets things from prep time , that book can’t go wrong

Is the MGH Pocket Medicine guide still a thing? Either hard copy or app?

If so…get it. That thing saved my bacon at 4am so often it’s worth it’s weight in gold.

Otherwise, get comfortable with the EMR and UTD and you’ll be fine

Reactions: 4 users
I was wondering if there were any resources that current seniors or attendings have that helped them get through their intern years?
Up to date and pocket medicine. The rest you will learn as you go.

Sometimes programs will provide an intern survival guide mini book to help as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MDCalc app is an excellent companion to your other resources (like Pocket Medicine and Uptodate app). You can literally just type the name of a condition in the search bar (e.g. DVT) and it will tell you every scoring system for that condition.

Reactions: 1 user
Work hard, be honest, make sure all your orders are in. Don't complain or be whiny. Be nice to others and don't gossip because it spreads like wildfire especially in a small program.

Also treat all the nurses and ancillary staff with respect . Maybe a nurse manager will complain why you aren’t expediting a discharge . Just know it’s not personal and it’s the medical industrial complex at work . Smile and say yes sir or ma’am and continue along. Defer all responsibility for final decision making to your attending . An angry nurse manager can talk to your program director and get you in trouble for lack of professionalism (a core ACGME component )