Prepping for the MCAT no science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlaqond

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
xx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why not just take a diagnostic MCAT test to see the question types? You can find many online for free

As for taking the MCAT itself without any science classes... good luck I've never heard anyone succeed on that front but maybe if you're diligent it's possible

I'd highly discourage purchasing prep books this early, especially if you haven't decided on medicine. Instead, go to the AAMC's website and download their Guide to the MCAT 2015 for a list of topics, and take advantage of their free resources to see the types of things tested.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in teaching the material to myself. I realize I could do this without a MCAT prep book, but I'd like to have at least one consolidated resource on-hand.

The majority of medical schools have course requirements. So even if you did manage to teach the material to yourself, you wouldn't be eligible to go to medical school. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm interested in teaching the material to myself. I realize I could do this without a MCAT prep book, but I'd like to have at least one consolidated resource on-hand.
Actually you can't write the MCAT without a MCAT prep book. No one on the planet has ever done well on the MCAT without prep books. That wasn't what she meant anyway. She meant that if you want to know what kind of stuff the MCAT tests on, you can use the list of topics posted online for free. And IMHO, no science background + teaching yourself the MCAT material + using the MCAT to gauge aptitude for medicine = recipe for disaster.

You really, really don't want to go to med school, do you? Because this strategy is just as effective in prepping as would punching a Dean.

You really, really don't want to go to med school, do you? Because this strategy is just as effective in prepping as would punching a Dean.

OP: "Good morning, Dean Shultz. Thank you so much for granting me an interview after getting the worst possible score on the MCAT."

Dean: "You're welcome, Danielle. Let us begin our interview with..."

OP: "Ahem, one more thing."

Punches Dean in face

________

Reactions: 7 users
There is honestly an important thing you can do before taking any science classes: get in the habit of reading alot. Have diverse interests. Practice reading with intense focus for periods of time. Practice reading really dry material. Practice actually really reading for understanding. On the MCAT forum on here there is a thread where people compile a bunch of articles that can serve as practice for reading. The more you read, the better you get at. The MCAT at the end of the day is disguised as a reading comprehension test: they just only happen to explicitly state that's the case on one of the four sections. This was the biggest take away I can give anybody after going through the process of prepping and taking it.

Really what you need for the MCAT isnt content review as much as development of important skills. Those skills dont just come overnight, they get developed over years. Working on developing them now years before you have to sit for the MCAT can make a difference down the road when you actually have to take it on that fateful day. It's a skill acquired over years not something you just learn studying 10 weeks before the test.

Reactions: 1 users
But the vast majority of med schools require you to take the courses anyway... so even if you score well on the MCAT without the courses (unlikely) it will take you ~2-3 years to take the courses, by that point your score will probably have expired anyway.

Go to a large book store or a large public library and look at any MCAT prep book. It will not be understandable. You really need to take courses in chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and biology for any of that to make any sense. The bigger question should be, do you want to care for the sick and injured? Do you want to devote four years to mostly classroom/lab studying of the sciences (2 years post-bac, 2 years med school) and five years or more learning in clinical settings (last 2 years of med school, and 3+ years or post-graduate training) before being a full fledged member of the profession.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
please do not take THE BERKELEY REVIEW COURSE (TBR review course). they do not teach content, waste of money if you need content review. Todd is horrible at teaching physics.TBR classes are catered to California ASIANS not minorities . plus they are very strict about classroom procedures to make sure you're not an AAMC SPY. WEIRDOS
How in the world can a class be catered to a race?

WHEN 99.9% OF YOUR CLASSMATES ARE ASIANS THIS CAN'T BE A COINCIDENCE. SOMEONE IS RECRUITING A SPECIAL GROUP

You've lost your CAPS LOCK privileges. Please remove the CAPS LOCK key from your keyboard. You can have it back once you've uncovered the Illuminati plot to fill med schools with Asians. I imagine you'll need it again when you do.

Khan Academy has every bit of information you need included practice passages

In fact, the AAMC recommends ONLY The Khan Academy and never mentions private courses/book (Kaplan, TPR etc) in their study suggestions

There is honestly an important thing you can do before taking any science classes: get in the habit of reading alot. Have diverse interests. Practice reading with intense focus for periods of time. Practice reading really dry material. Practice actually really reading for understanding. On the MCAT forum on here there is a thread where people compile a bunch of articles that can serve as practice for reading. The more you read, the better you get at. The MCAT at the end of the day is disguised as a reading comprehension test: they just only happen to explicitly state that's the case on one of the four sections. This was the biggest take away I can give anybody after going through the process of prepping and taking it.

Really what you need for the MCAT isnt content review as much as development of important skills. Those skills dont just come overnight, they get developed over years. Working on developing them now years before you have to sit for the MCAT can make a difference down the road when you actually have to take it on that fateful day. It's a skill acquired over years not something you just learn studying 10 weeks before the test.
As a high-school student I'm very glad that this piece of advice was available to me early on. Who would have known that binge-reading Wealth of Nations could pay off later?!

OK, you want to get an MCAT book to get an idea of the science you need to know before you start taking science courses. I would look at a free online resource. I would also try taking one science class, as advanced as you can without any prerequisites. To study science, you need good reading and memory skills, good critical thinking skills, the ability to associate ideas that might not at first glance appear related, and the ability to apply learning across classes. You need to be comfortable with logic, the idea of evidence, and the idea that your view about the topic is not important. For example, Literature is all about interpretation. Embryology is all about understanding and applying.

I don't expect you to listen, but I feel morally obligated to say that this is A ****ING TERRIBLE IDEA.

Carry on.

I agree with LizzyM. OP, go to a bookstore or library and pick up an MCAT practice book. Then, once you have convinced yourself of the need to just take the pre-req courses, you can sign up for the MCAT prep course that Goro recommended (i.e. taking the classes).