Non-Science Bachelor— should I pursue medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

girlfromrockford

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there!

I'll try to keep it brief. I just graduated last May 2026 from a U.S. university with a degree in Global Affairs. As I considered what I wanted to do post-grad, I really struggled with a disillusionment toward my field (politics, government...I'm sure you understand!!) I found what felt like my niche when I learned about humanitarian medicine serving in international conflict or disaster zones. Originally, I considered nursing because of its lower barrier to entry, and my mom is a nurse, so there's a family connection. That being said, in my last semester of undergrad, I was able to take Intro to Bio, Nutrition, Lifespan Development, Statistics, etc. Although now I'm considering med school because I love school and enjoy the thought of immersing myself in my career. I can't lie...the salary is also a very compelling factor haha. I did consider NP or PA, but given that I would want to start in an ED, I feel like I would be left out of all the interesting stuff!

My question is, are there people out there who have done this? I'm 25 now, and I know I would most likely have to take a post-bac pre-med program, which would mean another year before I could even begin med school. I have no doctors in my family and don't know any doctors, so I'm not sure where I would even begin! I have a 3.97 GPA with a 4.0 Science GPA. Throughout my undergrad, I was able to secure some pretty significant internships and fellowships in the IR field, but nothing focused explictly in health or medicine. Would I have a shot?

Thank you, and I'm sorry if questions like this have been posted before...I'm new to this all!

Thanks much!
 
Hi there!

I'll try to keep it brief. I just graduated last May 2026 from a U.S. university with a degree in Global Affairs. As I considered what I wanted to do post-grad, I really struggled with a disillusionment toward my field (politics, government...I'm sure you understand!!) I found what felt like my niche when I learned about humanitarian medicine serving in international conflict or disaster zones. Originally, I considered nursing because of its lower barrier to entry, and my mom is a nurse, so there's a family connection. That being said, in my last semester of undergrad, I was able to take Intro to Bio, Nutrition, Lifespan Development, Statistics, etc. Although now I'm considering med school because I love school and enjoy the thought of immersing myself in my career. I can't lie...the salary is also a very compelling factor haha. I did consider NP or PA, but given that I would want to start in an ED, I feel like I would be left out of all the interesting stuff!

My question is, are there people out there who have done this? I'm 25 now, and I know I would most likely have to take a post-bac pre-med program, which would mean another year before I could even begin med school. I have no doctors in my family and don't know any doctors, so I'm not sure where I would even begin! I have a 3.97 GPA with a 4.0 Science GPA. Throughout my undergrad, I was able to secure some pretty significant internships and fellowships in the IR field, but nothing focused explictly in health or medicine. Would I have a shot?

Thank you, and I'm sorry if questions like this have been posted before...I'm new to this all!

Thanks much!
You are in good company. Many physicians started out as "career changers" (+/- having actually had an actual career), myself included. If you haven't already shadowed some physicians, I would suggest you do so first to ensure that this path is right for you. Your school's prehealth office may have some leads.

Thankfully, your undergraduate GPA thus far has been excellent. As long as you do well in your post-bac and MCAT, establish good relationships with your professors (which will help when it comes time to ask for LORs), and gain extracurriculars (research, clinical experience, non-clinical volunteering, etc.) to round off your application, you will have a good chance at getting into a medical school. Best of luck.
 
Again, career-changing is not a scarlet letter. You would be surprised how many applicants have taken at least a growth year or are doing career pivots. Have coffee with some professionals (or read some professional profiles on SDN Review/blogs) and shadow before you put a dollar down on extra postbac courses or MCAT prep.