???? Prereq classes & EC's... need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AshleyCPhT

Sophomore UT Chattanooga
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok two questions (kinda 3):

1. What are some of the hardest classes you had to take for your pre-reqs? And I've gotten online a pulled up the re-reqs for all of my potential pharmacy schools, and a few of them require one or two classes that noone else does (ex. econ and a second humanities class) should I save these for last or just go ahead and take them, or well.. does it even matter?

2. I really have to study.. ALOT to get even a B in my classes (I've only made 2 A's so far out of 43 hours). And I work as a Pharm Tech (going on 2 yrs now). Should I worry about trying to get involved in other extracurrics or just let my experience be my main one and focus on my studying? The only other ecs I have rght now are the Pre-Pharm Club and ACS... which I'm not ALL that active in; since it seems that everytime they meet for their projects I have to work, so Pretty much only get to make it to the monthly meetings.

Members don't see this ad.

1.) I thought A&P II was pretty hard. Now I'm in Organic I and it seems like it will pretty challenging too, but none of them are extraordinarily hard. It also depends on the teacher and how well they teach and how hard their tests are. If you put some effort into studying and practicing (problems and such) then it is not hard to do well.

2.) In my opinion I think your grades should come before trying to get ECs. First make sure you're doing well in your classes and then if you have EXTRA time left over you can start considering doing other things. Especially since you already have some ECs under your belt. SOME are better than NONE.

1) I thought microbiology, anatomy/physiology, and organic chem II were my most difficult classes. If I were you, I wouldn't try to put them off. Just try to mix them in with other "easier" or "moderate" classes. In other words, take 1 easy class, 3 moderate classes, and 1 difficult class, rather than taking 3 difficult classes all at once.

2) Grades are very important, however I have a fairly low GPA and I was invited to an interview this year. I also have a ton of work experience and a ton of leadership and volunteer activities. I think it made a huge difference in getting an interview.

If you already have a low GPA, take a full course load and try your hardest to get good grades. Pharm schools love it when students take 16 or more semester units and pharm schools also look at grade trends. If your overall GPA is a 3.0, but you have a 3.6 GPA in your last 45 units, this will be very favorable.

Besides focusing on grades I would also try to take on a leadership role. Run for president of something, be a volunteer coach, mentor a kid, etc.