prereq's 1 at a time at cc a no-no for me?

Started by quindk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

quindk

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've lurked for a while and absorbed lots of great info here. Have a question specific to me now and hope I can get some advice as a newbie (this is my first post!).

I've read the "cc vs univ for prereqs" debates, and also read that it's important to show ability to perform well with a heavy workload, but due to our family situation for now, I am only able to take 1 prereq at a time. And they would be at a cc. I would need to complete all prereqs this way so do you think it would be all for naught, even with A's in these classes?

Background: 31 yr old SAHM of 2 yr old and another on the way. Liberal arts degree 10 yrs ago as a language major. Intended to get bio degree, but lost ALL confidence upon entering college and chickened out after withdrawing from gen chem and then a B- in gen bio. First two years were ugly, but upward trend second 2 and ended with a mediocre 3.36 UG gpa. Regretted this decision ever since and now that I am older both in age and emotionally, I would love to go back in time and follow my dream.

Thanks for any advice!
 
Since you have been lurking around on SDN for a while now I am sure you realize that it would help your cause if you were to take your prereqs at a 4 year university as opposed to a cc. Now if your undergraduate GPA was a little higher and you'd previously taken and done well in the sciences at some point in the past then this might not be as big of an issue, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. In your situation prereqs at a 4 year would look much better. In addition, a little heavier of a workload will also help.

If you are not able to do this due to legitimate reasons that can be later explained if needed (no 4 year universities in the area, had to work too much to take a heavier schedule etc.) well than you've got no other choice and you'd might as well give it a shot.

However, keep in mind that medical school admissions commitees are tasked with the job of trying to determine whether or not you will be able to succeed academically at their school. The applicants that leave the committee no room for doubt are the ones that get accepted. Therefore a 3.3GPA in a non-science related major over 10 years ago does not tell them at all how well you'll do in a rigorous science curriculum today. It does not alleviate any of the doubts that medical admissions commitees often have when faced with applicants with lower GPAs.

Doing well in your prereqs will definitely help, but if you take them at a community college and only 1 class at a time, well then your not really making their job any easier, and at the end of the day that leaves room for only doubt which is not good news for you. The problem is that at a community college, unless they are really familiar with that cc, they have no way of knowing how rigorous the grading scheme and competitiveness of those courses are. In addition, taking 1 course at a time also gives them no way to determine how well you'd not only manage your time, but do academically when you've got a lot of material to learn in a relatively short amount of time - which is what you'll be expected to do during medical school.

So to summarize, if you have no other alternatives, well then you've got no other alternatives and you'd might as well try and see what happens. Just make sure you ROCK the MCAT! But if you can slightly go out of your way and take at least three prereqs per semester at a local 4 year, well then you'd not only help admissions committees determine whether or not you'd be successful, but you'd also help yourself figure out whether your really cut out for medicine.

P.S. 1 course at a time will take you forever! Medicine is already a long process, do you really want to spend 3+ years taking prereqs prior to beginning the 7+ year process to become a licensed doctor? I mean at some point your going to have to go to school full-time (med school and residency) why not now?

Edit: After re-reading your post, here is a suggestion that might help you since you mentioned that family issues might make it impossible for you to take a full-load at the moment:

the way I figure it, if you retake all of your prereqs 1 at a time, lets just assume that you take the lecture and lab together in the same semester, your looking at a minimum of 4 years. 1 year of bio, 1 for chem, 1 for physics, and 1 for organic chemistry. You could take some of these in the summer, but keep in mind that summer courses are very time consuming, especially when taken with the lab component. Summer science + Lab + studying to do well = full time commitment over those 6 weeks or so. However, for the sake of argument, lets say that you do manage to take a summer session or 2, at the very earliest it will still take you 2.5 to 3 years to complete the prereqs. So here are the two scenario's,

Scenario 1: (You proceed to take 1 class over approx 3 years at cc) 3 years from the day you start you'll be applying to med schools and will be faced with the issues discussed above in my post regarding the light course load, cc taken prereqs, and lower than average GPA in a non- science related major over 10 years ago. Might have trouble getting acceptances this way.

Scenario 2: Take 1 to 2 years off to resolve personal and family issues, then go full-time to a 4 year university and knock out all of your prereqs in 1 to 1.5 years, do well, alleviate any concerns admissions committees have about your abilities to succeed in a rigorous science based curriculum and then apply within the same exact time frame as you would've with scenario 1 while greatly increasing your chances of getting an acceptance.

I would go with scenario number 2, hope this helps.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for such a detailed response. It confirms my gut feeling (much as I try to deny it).

I would love scenario 2. I'm not getting any younger so I would love to get the prereqs done sooner than later, but can't find a way to do it without putting my small child in daycare. I had a horrendous experience with daycare in the past so I have problems trusting strangers with my kids. If we had a family member or friend I could trust, I'd jump right in and complete them full-time, but so far no solutions. If I get to the point of med school acceptance, my husband is already onboard and will quit his job to be a SAHD until the kids are in school.

I may just have to wait 5 yrs until the kids are in school, or decide that it's just not in the cards for me. I understand there are tradeoffs. I don't regret having a child one bit! But I don't think it means I can't pursue dreams anymore either. It's just going to be a h*** of a lot harder!

I'm leaning towards testing the waters, maybe with gen chem in cc to confirm that it was really confidence and study habits vs aptitude. (Don't know what happened! In high school I took advanced bio, anatomy, was TA for the bio dept, then got to college and felt completely inadequate in sci classes!) Maybe a door will open in the meantime that offers a solution to my dilemma. For now, I'll keep reading how other families are getting it done around here.

Thank you again
 
Well I wish you good luck! I am not sure how old you are, but waiting 4 or 5 years might not be so bad. I am 32 years old and am going to be applying to medical schools this year so I wouldn't sweat it if in the worst case scenario you do have to wait some time before you began the process. As for taking a chemistry class to test the waters, that sounds like a good idea. It will get you one prereq closer and also help transition you to more full-time studies later on.

Good Luck!