prereqs or advanced courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovetolearn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, just want to say that the OPM meeting was great, inspiring and sobering! :thumbup: Also special thanks to Denise for making sure I had a place to sleep :sleep: :)

OK, now on to my question...I am on the PhD to MD path. First my undergrad GPA is not good (2.4), but have a pretty good Grad GPA, good publications etc.

I understand many schools will look first at the undergrad GPA, but what can I do about that now? I know I should take some extra courses which will count as post-bac...but should I repeat all of my prereqs... chem, physics, orgo..(not bio... my PhD is in Micro...so it does not make sense to me)... OR just take more advaced Bio courses instead of all the prereqs. The problem as for most of us is $$$ and time :p , I am a postdoc with lots of reposibility and not much free time.

I know I will have to "kill" the MCAT, but untill then, what should I do? I have read all the posts on this question but I'm still unsure about which route to take :rolleyes: .

Members don't see this ad.

What did you get for your pre-reqs? What was your grad GPA? If you have a C or better in your pre-reqs, I would favor taking more advanced classes. Because:

1) Retaking them wouldn't boost your GPA by much in terms of allopathic schools. So you might as well show you can do well in harder classes since they would boost your GPA by the same amount relatively speaking.

2) Getting an A in a class that you previously had a C in doesn't really say much. Just says you can get an A on the second try. Now if you had something less than a C, I'd retake it since you want to at least pass those classes.

You don't have to limit yourself to advanced bio classes either. You can always take more chemistry, and physics courses. Up to you, and what your grades were in those classes. There are plenty of advanced level OChem, GChem (e.g., PChem), and physics courses.

Time and $$$ is certainly an issue, but there's no other way. On my end, I'm also trying to boost my undergrad GPA while doing a PhD program. I'm starting to realize that it is quite challenging to take more classes while doing a thesis. But there's no other choice if the MD degree is your ultimate goal. As a traditional or nontraditional applicant, the same applies when one wants a solution to a low undergrad GPA, and thats by doing post-bacc or an SMP. Unless you failed a class, one should take a more advanced class rather than retaking it. This of course, as you pointed out, is in addition to a killer MCAT score. Good luck!

relentless11 said:
What did you get for your pre-reqs? What was your grad GPA? If you have a C or better in your pre-reqs, I would favor taking more advanced classes. Because:

1) Retaking them wouldn't boost your GPA by much in terms of allopathic schools. So you might as well show you can do well in harder classes since they would boost your GPA by the same amount relatively speaking.

2) Getting an A in a class that you previously had a C in doesn't really say much. Just says you can get an A on the second try. Now if you had something less than a C, I'd retake it since you want to at least pass those classes.

You don't have to limit yourself to advanced bio classes either. You can always take more chemistry, and physics courses. Up to you, and what your grades were in those classes. There are plenty of advanced level OChem, GChem (e.g., PChem), and physics courses.

Time and $$$ is certainly an issue, but there's no other way. On my end, I'm also trying to boost my undergrad GPA while doing a PhD program. I'm starting to realize that it is quite challenging to take more classes while doing a thesis. But there's no other choice if the MD degree is your ultimate goal. As a traditional or nontraditional applicant, the same applies when one wants a solution to a low undergrad GPA, and thats by doing post-bacc or an SMP. Unless you failed a class, one should take a more advanced class rather than retaking it. This of course, as you pointed out, is in addition to a killer MCAT score. Good luck!

Thanks for your advise!
My grades ranged from C- to B, but I had to retake some to graduate :D and be able to get into grad school. I need to take a careful look and decide from there. If I go for advanced courses, thanks for reminding me, I won't just stay with bio.
I agree with you, taking extra courses while doing a PhD is tough, not only because of time and money but in my case my school did not allow any extra courses which makes sense since they pay for it and if you have little choice in where else to go...well, you know how it goes.
Best of luck to you too :thumbup:
Anyone els has more advise?