1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

prereqs with a full time job... Is it possible...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wannabedoctor, Nov 15, 2000.

1. wannabedoctor

wannabedoctor Member
    10+ Year Member

I plan on taking pre--reqs and working ful
    time. I want to get a consenus on premeds who are working full time and taking prereqs
    at night like physics and organic chem.. How many classes are you taking per semester....
    What about the burn--out factor

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wooo

wooo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I worked full-time the first 2+ years and took 14 hours per semester. (1 class normally equals 3 hours and a lab equals 1 hour, so four classes & 2 labs.) I finished up by working 20-25 hours per week.

I didn't start getting burned out until the med school app and the MCAT came along.

[This message has been edited by wooo (edited 11-16-2000).]

4. Benzeno

Benzeno Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    wannabe- I took most of my prereqs at night school while working full time, 48 sem hrs in all. A 4 sem hr class was twice a week, 4 hrs a night for 10 weeks. I normally took only one at a time, but there was 5 semesters a year. The secret is to never take a semester off, your life expands to take over your newfound time and it is very hard to get back into the routine of leaving work and going straight to class. Do not take organic with anything else, with the short semesters it was hard craming all that stuff in.

You Can do it. Others have done it before us, I did it. I'll see you in Med School
    -Benzeno

5. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    50 hours a week/ full time classes for the first three years. I tried to limit my credits to 12-15 during the school year, and took about 8 or so in the summer. Senior year, I worked 32 hours a week. I worked nights, so my schedule was probably different than yours will be. Anyway, graduated with honors, got into med school, so it can be done. Perseverance. Dedication. Motivation. Strict priorites. That's all you need. You can do it, and med schools will love how hard you worked to reach your goal. Good luck!