Prerequisite course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiftRinseRepeat

Reaction score
Hello,
Just want to get some opinions on the course load that I am planning on doing. I was recently given a once in a life time chance to be excused for work for 6 months to go to college. So the only way that I can do it to fit my remaining labs in (12 week classes at the community college) is to split them down the middle, so it would look something like:

Term 1:
Bio 1
Chem 1
Physics 1
A&P 1

Term 2:
Bio 2
Chem 2
Physics 2
A&P2

I understand its subjective for everyone and their study habits, but how doable is this without losing my mind and keeping my GPA at least above a 3.5?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are capable of taking a class during a summer or winter break I’d highly recommend it. Those are very science heavy classes

Hello,
Just want to get some opinions on the course load that I am planning on doing. I was recently given a once in a life time chance to be excused for work for 6 months to go to college. So the only way that I can do it to fit my remaining labs in (12 week classes at the community college) is to split them down the middle, so it would look something like:

Term 1:
Bio 1
Chem 1
Physics 1
A&P 1

Term 2:
Bio 2
Chem 2
Physics 2
A&P2

I understand its subjective for everyone and their study habits, but how doable is this without losing my mind and keeping my GPA at least above a 3.5?
Theoretically, you have to do what you have to do, and I can't really think of a different way to split that up. But that may be a lot of hours in labs, so make sure you can schedule everything conveniently and you also budget your own study time between classes and over weekends.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are capable of taking a class during a summer or winter break I’d highly recommend it. Those are very science heavy classes
The biggest issue is the unpredictability of my job. Signing up for a 12 week lab (even just one) is risky because I could be sent away with very little notice. This 6-month window is a reward for me, and unfortunately I do not have many other options unless I want to begin applying to schools at the age of 38+.

16 hours is a manageable course load for mixed subjects, but a stretch for all science with 4 labs. But if this is all you are doing, with no work or family obligations, it may work. What was your GPA before this? Your goal is going to be 'A's on all of these, do you have a history of a high GPA?

16 hours is a manageable course load for mixed subjects, but a stretch for all science with 4 labs. But if this is all you are doing, with no work or family obligations, it may work. What was your GPA before this? Your goal is going to be 'A's on all of these, do you have a history of a high GPA?
My first attempt at college, not so much I had a 2.6. I am about to finish my bachelors with a 3.9, and according to a cGPA calculator it puts my combined GPA at 3.5-3.6 depending on my last class. Needless to say I am much more focused this time around, however in being fair to myself I have never taken chemistry or physics. I took Bio 1 w/ lab but it was online, and I have the rest of the pre-reqs done.

Hello,

Term 1:
Bio 1
Chem 1
Physics 1
A&P 1

Term 2:
Bio 2
Chem 2
Physics 2
A&P2

To take academic abilities aside, check classes schedule. They may overlap since labs for all those classes are pretty long. I also had an issue with enrollment to desired classes when I just start community college since they offered earlier registration date to the students who had been attending the college longer. So by the time I was able to register for classes, most of them were no longer available.

My first attempt at college, not so much I had a 2.6. I am about to finish my bachelors with a 3.9, and according to a cGPA calculator it puts my combined GPA at 3.5-3.6 depending on my last class. Needless to say I am much more focused this time around, however in being fair to myself I have never taken chemistry or physics. I took Bio 1 w/ lab but it was online, and I have the rest of the pre-reqs done.
The hard sciences are often like 2 classes in one. The lab and the actual course combined for one class are a huge amount of work. I did it, I did the 16 credits of pure science for a whole year actually, exactly what you are considering. My grades and my mental health suffered and I didn't see anyone or do anything else for 9+ months. And I just ended up having to re-take the courses at a later time for a better grade, which in itself is expensive. It is possible but it is extremely taxing. I am not saying don't do it, you gotta do what you gotta do but be real with yourself about you're getting yourself into!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

Term 1:
Bio 1
Chem 1
Physics 1
A&P 1

Term 2:
Bio 2
Chem 2
Physics 2
A&P2

Something to check on - my undergraduate college only allowed students to take two hard sciences per semester, and you had to get permission to take more than that. It *might* have been capped at three but I'm pretty sure it was capped at two. I have no idea if that was only for non-science majors.

Something else to check on - does the schedule jive so that you CAN take all of this? The labs are extremely long. I'm not sure there's even enough hours in the day to sit in all these lectures and labs, let along the time you'll need to study and do homework (lab writeups alone can be very tedious).

You are right, it is subjective. I am not sure if it helps if you took some stuff in high school - I did not and always felt at a slight disadvantage (I'd only taken bio in HS). Even so....this is a LOT. I found two hard sciences with "regular" classes to be extremely stressful. Not to mention, you're aiming for at least a 3.5 in each course.

Not trying to be a negative nancy, but considering both the financial and mental cost, it is all worth mentioning.

I think this is probably doable for some, and not doable for many. If you are blessed with the ability to retain information easily, have excellent stress management skills, and the people in your life will be very supportive and okay with basically not seeing you for half a year, then head down, eyes up, and get it done.

Reactions: 1 user