Question about Physics Prerequisite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chaseianmo

Reaction score
I have 1 last class in progress which I will be taking in the fall. This is a second semester of Physics. I already took General Physics 1 which is calculus based. Now for my second semester of Physics, It looks like I have the option of taking General Physics 2, or Physics 2 (which is non calculus based). But both are housed in the physics department and have a lab. Every program I applied to accepts either General or regular physics.

My question is this. Can I take the non-calculus based Physics 2 as my second semester of Physics, or do I need to take the second semester of General Physics 2 as the continuation? I am a non traditional student and have not taken calculus in like 6 years. Taking Physics 2 would be much easier for me, as well as the time slot being much more accommodating. Obviously I would have to update PTCAS and the schools about this change but it seems like the easier route. Is this possible?

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Calculus is usually not a requirement so unless a program explicitly tells you, you should be fine with algebra-based physics (including Physics 2). The only reason I think you should take calc-based physics is that it is a graduation/degree requirement for your engineering/physics degree.

Reactions: 1 user