Prerequisite Waiver for Career Changer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NA87

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! Wondering if anyone has successfully petitioned to have prerequisites waived for admissions to a DPT program.

I have a bachelors of science in exercise science from 2010 but ended up following a different career path after graduation. I took many of the prerequisite courses needed for the programs I want to apply for, however one in particular has a 7 year age limit. There is, however the possibility of petitioning to get this waived if I write a statement on how I have used this knowledge. My job is in business/merchandising so really not related. Only thing I can think of is I train regularly in powerlifting but purely as a hobby.

Has anyone else encountered this and successfully petitioned? I do plan to petition so any advice would be a huge help.

Thanks!
 
Hello! Wondering if anyone has successfully petitioned to have prerequisites waived for admissions to a DPT program.

I have a bachelors of science in exercise science from 2010 but ended up following a different career path after graduation. I took many of the prerequisite courses needed for the programs I want to apply for, however one in particular has a 7 year age limit. There is, however the possibility of petitioning to get this waived if I write a statement on how I have used this knowledge. My job is in business/merchandising so really not related. Only thing I can think of is I train regularly in powerlifting but purely as a hobby.

Has anyone else encountered this and successfully petitioned? I do plan to petition so any advice would be a huge help.

Thanks!
I had older sciences too and just applied to programs that did not have an expiration limit on pre-reqs. Not all schools have a limit. Good luck!
 
I had a few successfully waived, but no science courses. I was able to have speech and English waived. For speech, I talked a little about my work as a teacher and for writing, I believe I submitted a paper I wrote for my masters program as a writing sample. I agree that I also researched a lot and focused on schools that didn't require a waiver (I retook all of my science pre reqs anyway for straight As.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad