Prerequisites at Different Schools..CUNY in particular

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayccee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Do medical/dental schools look at you negatively if you do an informal postbac at multiple schools? I'm going to start taking my prereqs over the summer, and I am looking to take it at the CUNY schools. Maybe Hunter, Brooklyn College, City, etc. I have applied to Hunter's postbac, but suppose one or two of the classes were to be filled up and I were to have to take them elsewhere. My undergrad could provide me with a committee letter, so this will not be an issue. Would this be a problem? If this question was answered elsewhere, I couldn't find it-so if someone could post it, that would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
Do medical/dental schools look at you negatively if you do an informal postbac at multiple schools? I'm going to start taking my prereqs over the summer, and I am looking to take it at the CUNY schools. Maybe Hunter, Brooklyn College, City, etc. I have applied to Hunter's postbac, but suppose one or two of the classes were to be filled up and I were to have to take them elsewhere. My undergrad could provide me with a committee letter, so this will not be an issue. Would this be a problem? If this question was answered elsewhere, I couldn't find it-so if someone could post it, that would be great. Thanks!

Didn't seem to pose any sort of problem while I was interviewing. They just asked me why I didn't finish all of my requirements during undergrad, I told them and that was it. I took Organic Chemistry Lab 1 and 2 at Hunter College during the application/interview cycle this year and there were no issues as far as I could see.

I did my prereqs at two different schools as an informal postbac and it doesn't seem to have hurt me in the slightest. Just don't take any of them at CCs (e.g. Kingsborough)...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. I went to Hunter undergrad and both post-bacs and regular degree students sometimes took some of the pre-reqs at another college on e-permit because of space issues. I just would stay away from BMCC and Kingsborough and stuff like isch mentioned.

Thanks for the responses! It looks like I can jump around, but I should probably limit the number of schools to no more than two. I'm leaning towards Brooklyn College for several reasons. I just hope that they have enough seats so that way I won't have to hop around from one CUNY school to the next looking for a seat!

hey ishchayill,

this is a random question...in the section of your application where you listed your grades - next to your grades usually the school is also listed - did the CUNY schools have the CUNY prefix? example: CUNY - Hunter College, CUNY - Lehman College, CUNY - Medger Evers College.

i'm only asking because i'm also doing a DIY post bac at multiple CUNY schools and I feel if a CUNY prefix shows up on my application, an adcom can at least see that those schools were under an umbrella of a larger institution. yup, kind of a random question but i think initial perception wise, it might influence the adcoms.

hey ishchayill,

this is a random question...in the section of your application where you listed your grades - next to your grades usually the school is also listed - did the CUNY schools have the CUNY prefix? example: CUNY - Hunter College, CUNY - Lehman College, CUNY - Medger Evers College.

i'm only asking because i'm also doing a DIY post bac at multiple CUNY schools and I feel if a CUNY prefix shows up on my application, an adcom can at least see that those schools were under an umbrella of a larger institution. yup, kind of a random question but i think initial perception wise, it might influence the adcoms.

I don't recall exactly how it looked when I filled out the application (it's been a year since then. But in the final printout of the application I have, it says "CUNY Brooklyn". I'm pretty sure the adcoms see the same thing.
However, I would come to the interview prepared with a good response to the question of why you took the classes at so many different schools. They want to make sure you're not picking and choosing the famously easy profs etc.

I had no questions from ADCOMMS regarding multiple CUNY schools for post-bac pre-reqs. I did most classes at hunter, and one class each at baruch and ccny on e-permit. I think the important things are to ace your classes and not do classes at community colleges, which in nyc is really not hard since there are so many cuny campuses throughout the city. I owe a lot to CUNY, the classes were inexpensive, convenient, and for the most part taught by really fabulous professors and grad students, with only a couple of exceptions.