Prerequisites Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed3678

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took intro bio in HS and got community college credits. If I were to list them, would I have to specify if they are from a different institution?

Or... Can a course count as a pre-req for 2 different places? Like, upper level bio meeting the "biology" requirement as well as the "genetics" req?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I took intro bio in HS and got community college credits. If I were to list them, would I have to specify if they are from a different institution?

Or... Can a course count as a pre-req for 2 different places? Like, upper level bio meeting the "biology" requirement as well as the "genetics" req?

Thanks.
You not only have to specify it's from a different institution, you are required to provide transcripts from every institution you ever attended. This counts as attending, since they gave you credit. And no, each class can only meet one requirement. I don't know any med school that has a genetics pre req, but, if there is one, and they also have a gen bio requirement (all schools have this!), no, you can't use a UG genetics classes to knock out both requirements!

You not only have to specify it's from a different institution, you are required to provide transcripts from every institution you ever attended. This counts as attending, since they gave you credit. And no, each class can only meet one requirement. I don't know any med school that has a genetics pre req, but, if there is one, and they also have a gen bio requirement (all schools have this!), no, you can't use a UG genetics classes to knock out both requirements!
I did provide transcripts from all institutions.
Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a bit confused about your second question.

If a school says they want to see some upper division biology courses, then I could take my choice out of Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Virology, etc., and they'd all fulfill that recommendation. Is that what you meant?