Prerequisites: University vs Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasprept88

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good AM,

I already graduated with my BS in Health Sciences but I did not finish Chem II, Physics I or Physics II yet. Taking GRE in the fall of this year.

At this stage, having a university degree..is it recommended that I finish these prereqs at my university institution or am I still chanced an opportunity to take them at the community college level.

I can still reapply to my Uni as a post-baccaulaureate/Continuing Education student.

Please advise: uni prereqs or community college prereqs for a BS graduate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on where you're applying, but as far as I know, most don't care where you get them done. I got all of mine done at a CC.

Reactions: 1 users
I wasn’t able to get all of my prerequisites done by the time I finished my bachelors and completed A&P 1 and 2, Lifespan, and Physics 1 and 2 at a local community college. Other than maybe one or two programs that required certain prerequisites to be done at a 4-year institution in no way did this hinder me or the application process. I was accepted into all of the programs I applied to including one that is ranked #1. So I would double check, but you should be good doing them at a CC... it’ll also save you some money I’m sure!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks y’all, my main concern is not getting accepted due to them being community college courses and them not showing up on my University transcript.

I guess I will have to check with the programs I plan on applying to...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I did pretty awful during my time at a 4 year university and re-took almost all my pre-reqs at a CC. Programs do not care whether or not they are from a CC or a 4 year university. I applied to about 9 different programs and didn't have any issues at all due to it being from a CC. I recommend taking it at a CC, it is MUCH cheaper and doesn't make any difference.

Reactions: 3 users
I did the majority of my prereqs at a cc and was accepted to some very competitive programs.
Most schools won’t care.

I took almost all of my pre-reqs, except A&P I&II, at two different CCs about 11 years after I got my BA in English. I got into a few really tough schools, and only one school seemed a little adverse to my taking CC credits. Bottom line is that the majority of schools will not care.

Reactions: 1 user