Prerequisites - When to finish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrettKS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When exactly do prerequisites need to be complete?

Do prerequisites for each medical school need to be finished before application, before matriculation, or sometime in between?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally before, though on AMCAS you can list the classes you will be taking (including pre-reqs). Ideally I would suggest finishing your pre-reqs before you take the MCAT. It will give you a knowledge base for the exam to start your review on and make life easier. Most people though take the exam their Junior year which means they haven't completed Physics II yet, but have gone through most of it.

Generally before, though on AMCAS you can list the classes you will be taking (including pre-reqs). Ideally I would suggest finishing your pre-reqs before you take the MCAT. It will give you a knowledge base for the exam to start your review on and make life easier. Most people though take the exam their Junior year which means they haven't completed Physics II yet, but have gone through most of it.

I'm actually referring to pre-reqs such as "1 year social sciences," etc. Will I be at a disadvantage as far as being accepted if I have not yet taken them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually referring to pre-reqs such as "1 year social sciences," etc. Will I be at a disadvantage as far as being accepted if I have not yet taken them?

depends on the school that has that requirement, most suggest, but if i re-call, only a handful require it

I'd look at the school's website, some want it before you apply, most just by the time you graduate

For your school or for med schools? Because most med schools don't require that, some 'recommend' them and others do require such classes.

For your school, obviously before you graduate so you actually can graduate. For med school and their applications, if you list that you're taking them in the future it shouldn't be a big deal as long as you actually do complete them.

For your school or for med schools? Because most med schools don't require that, some 'recommend' them and others do require such classes.

For your school, obviously before you graduate so you actually can graduate. For med school and their applications, if you list that you're taking them in the future it shouldn't be a big deal as long as you actually do complete them.

This is for some med schools i'm looking at. I'll have to find which one mentioned that.

I know of a few schools that like social science backgrounds (ie classes). I think some of the UCs (Irvine and LA) both asked.... I THINK.

But, it is important. They want to have well rounded doctors that can bring more to the table than just the science. Unfortunately, that is the only decent metric they have pre-interview.

Hope this Helps.

Most schools ask to be done with all pre-reqs before matriculation. But I do know that Vandy wants them done by end of fall semester before matriculation. And they want grades, no AP - so make sure you check that out, also. :thumbdown: