Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clenny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if it is looked down upon if someone has not yet completed all prerequisites before applying to medical school. Some schools require you to take an o-chem lab or a bio lab and I have not gotten around to either yet. Do you think it will hurt my application? It's not like I have been lagging in my science classes....I just like taking lecture courses over lab courses and my schedule doesn't really permit me to take a lab next quarter before I apply during the summer.

Thanks,

Denny

Members don't see this ad.

clenny said:
Hi, I was just wondering if it is looked down upon if someone has not yet completed all prerequisites before applying to medical school. Some schools require you to take an o-chem lab or a bio lab and I have not gotten around to either yet. Do you think it will hurt my application? It's not like I have been lagging in my science classes....I just like taking lecture courses over lab courses and my schedule doesn't really permit me to take a lab next quarter before I apply during the summer.

Thanks,

Denny

I don't think it's a problem at all as long as you finish them before matriculation. At several of my interviews, the adcom talked about only needing them to set foot in the door, not be accepted.

I honestly think it might help your application a little. To not have all of your req's before you took the MCAT is a big risk, but if you still did well, then no problem.

I am also wondering the same thing and would like to know what other people have to say.

I have taken all the science prerequisites, but I have yet to take an English course in college. I am currently a third year student, and will take one semester of English in the spring. However, I will be missing one semester of English when I begin applying for medical school.

I do have the option of taking an English course over the summer, but I'd like to spend my time doing other things.

Will it hurt me if I haven't finished the English requirement before applying to med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also wondering the same thing and would like to know what other people have to say.

I have taken all the science prerequisites, but I have yet to take an English course in college. I am currently a third year student, and will take one semester of English in the spring. However, I will be missing one semester of English when I begin applying for medical school.

I do have the option of taking an English course over the summer, but I'd like to spend my time doing other things.

Will it hurt me if I haven't finished the English requirement before applying to med school?

No.

Do try to finish the second one the falling fall semester, though. There are a handful of schools that require all prereqs to be completed by January of the matriculation year.

I applied this cycle without Organic 1&2 lecture and lab...it worked out for me because I was accepted but not advisable (didn't do too hot on that portion of the MCAT)....

it is definitely possible to apply without all your prereqs though as long as you'll finish them before matriculate

Ditto on what ArchiMed wrote. I got into schools without all my pre-reqs, but they've asked for my final transcripts by the summertime, which should cover the remaining pre-reqs on their list of requirements.

And my MCAT suffered because I hadn't taken labs yet either...