Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mochocco

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can get into pharmacy without finishing the prerequisites? For example, if you are one class short?

Members don't see this ad.

yes, you just need to finish that last prereq prior to starting your pharm program. but yes, you can get accepted with a class in progress.

i'm in the position currently that I can't take the last class to finish my prereqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
if i remember correctly, some schools allow you start your pharm program while you fulfill that last prereq.

someone correct me if i'm wrong

before you can attend a pharmacy school you must finish all prerequisites. you might try and ask the school if you have an extenuating circumstance, but if you don't notify them of your situation and they find out, they have the right to take away your acceptance.

i'm in the position currently that I can't take the last class to finish my prereqs.

Like the previous poster said you need to have them finished before you start. What class is it?

One class short = no pharmacy school. Some schools require your classes be completed by the end of spring semester, others allow you to finish them the day prior to pharmacy school beginning. I've never heard of anyone being allowed to begin without having everything completed.

Like the previous poster said you need to have them finished before you start. What class is it?

i guess it's a pretty important class? microbio

One class short = no pharmacy school. Some schools require your classes be completed by the end of spring semester, others allow you to finish them the day prior to pharmacy school beginning. I've never heard of anyone being allowed to begin without having everything completed.

i'm somewhat glad to hear this, because i'm still trying to think of loopholes..and i'd rather that they don't exist if i can't find them.

There's no way you'll be permitted to matriculate without completing the microbiology requirement--or any prereq for that matter. There are no loopholes.

Maybe, you could take it online? Def talk to the school and see what they can do about it, hopefully there's a way.. I'm just curious, what's the school?

Some schools allow waivers, but you'd have to pretty much have done extensive research in microbio or something to be able to petition, and even then most schools do not have waivers for prereqs. Best thing to do is try to find a local cc and perhaps find an accelerated course that might work for you.

i'm somewhat glad to hear this, because i'm still trying to think of loopholes..and i'd rather that they don't exist if i can't find them.

You should be asking the school, not us. Each school's policy is a little different, but most will need to see it completed before you start. I think I do remember seeing a few that would let you do a class or two in the first year, but if you were in this situation you would already know it.

have you looked into summer sessions at CCs, state schools , state universities? most are 4-6 week sessions.

I think I remember people saying that their school let people in without having had completed all the pre-reqs. They just had to complete the last class while attending pharmacy school.

Have you been accepted already and there is no way you can finish or is this for the next cycle? If it for the next cycle, can't you just take an extra full load for one semester and finish the class or do it in summer school if the school accepts those classes? If it is the latter, I'd wait until spring so your acceptance will be in hand already if you find that you can't make the grades you are accustomed to. Once you are in, all you need is to pass with a C.

Why can't you take this class? You have a whole year, correct?