Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey all,
need some advice as to what classes I should take to help my future dental school application.

So far, I've taken (At end of 1st year)

Biology (C+, TBA)
General Chem I (C-)
English (A-, C+)
Psychology (B)
Statistics (C)
Earth and Atmospheric Sciences (B)
Drama/Theatre History (Elective) (B+)

And next year, I've scheduled:
Zoology (Animal Physiology - Homeostasis)
Biology
Cell Biology
Psychology (2 Classes)
General Chem II
O Chem I
Anatomy
Computing Science (I need it for a B.Sc. requirement)

I need 1 more class for my schedule, any suggestions?
Also, which classes should I take upper levels of if I really want to get into dental school (Classes I did poorly in this year)?

UndergradGuy7

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey all,
need some advice as to what classes I should take to help my future dental school application.

So far, I've taken (At end of 1st year)

Biology (C+, TBA)
General Chem I (C-)
English (A-, C+)
Psychology (B)
Statistics (C)
Earth and Atmospheric Sciences (B)
Drama/Theatre History (Elective) (B+)

And next year, I've scheduled:
Zoology (Animal Physiology - Homeostasis)
Biology
Cell Biology
Psychology (2 Classes)
General Chem II
O Chem I
Anatomy
Computing Science (I need it for a B.Sc. requirement)

I need 1 more class for my schedule, any suggestions?
Also, which classes should I take upper levels of if I really want to get into dental school (Classes I did poorly in this year)?
For next year all you have is science classes. This year you got C/C+ in biology and chemistry while taking other electives like english.

How do you plan on doing well next year if all you have is science classes and no easy electives? This year you only took chem/bio. Does it seem like you struggled this year? Having all science classes is not easy...

I would take 1 biology/1 chemistry and then the rest electives like english, that you need to graduate. I will guess that you are a freshmen? If so, you have plenty of time to take classes. Don't need to rush and take physiology, cell bio, homeostasis all in one semester.

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks,

Don't know if it matters, but those classes I listed for next year aren't in any order. The schedule should be:

First Term:
Zoology
2x Psychology (Cognitive Psych, Perception)
General Chem II
Comp. Sci

Second Term:
Cell Biology
Biology
O Chem I
Anatomy
CLASS which is yet to be determined

Looking at it now, I guess the second term does need some revision if I want/need a high GPA. Any suggestions?

UndergradGuy7

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks,

Don't know if it matters, but those classes I listed for next year aren't in any order. The schedule should be:

First Term:
Zoology
2x Psychology (Cognitive Psych, Perception)
General Chem II
Comp. Sci

Second Term:
Cell Biology
Biology
O Chem I
Anatomy
CLASS which is yet to be determined

Looking at it now, I guess the second term does need some revision if I want/need a high GPA. Any suggestions?
Anatomy is a lot of memorizing, especially if you have a lab. I would take it out. What is the other biology, you have cell biology and organic chemistry 1, whats the other bio? Organic chem can be a lot of memorizing depending on the person. If your organic chem + bio + bio is 15 credits then you don't really need to take the "class to be determined." Or do bio + chem + elective for 15 credits if possible.

I would probably take anatomy out. Then take it junior year with physiology (what I did).

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Ok,
I made a small change; I kept Anatomy, as I'm majoring in biological sciences, and ANAT counts towards bio sci credits.

First Term:
Zoology
Cognitive Psychology
General Chem II
Anatomy
Computer Science

Second Term:
Cell Biology
Biology
O Chem I
Psychology (Perception)

Any other suggestions?

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2010
Duh
Status
Can you take a class where you use manual dexterity? Something in the arts... ceramics perhaps?