Prescribing Medication/Drops

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shevchenko277

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was just wondering how common it is for Optometrists in corporate settings to actually prescribe oral or topical medication/drops such as antibiotics etc. Are patients requiring these treatments usually just referred to an Ophthalmologist instead? My question only pertains to corporate settings, I appreciate any insight.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on your location and patient demographics, it can be very common. I've worked at a Walmart practice and very commonly prescribed drops as well as occasional oral medication.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Snakedoctor1, I appreciate the your response and insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the location as said above. Some I know barely prescribe any and some will prescribe a lot. I prescribe much more now in private practice but had to write a decent amount of scripts at my corporate location when I was there.

Thank you for the information Percyeye! I appreciate it

Been in corporate for 13 years and I write a fair share of topical medications. Oral Rx's seem to come in spurts whenever I suspect shingles or see preseptal cellulitis.

On the pharmacy side, we get RXs from optometrists all the time. Lotemax, zirgan, prednisolone, erythromycin ointments, gentamicin drops, you name it. I've never had any problems filling them and don't think Rphs will question it as long as you stick with eyes

Thanks MilknCheerios, nice to hear a Pharmacist’s perspective on it as well!