prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Livineasi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my father is an ER doctor and throught out my life if I needed anything from antibiotics to birthcontrol pills - my father has written the precription.

I realize that as a DDS I will be able to write my patients prescriptions - is there any kind of rule about what I can prescribe? Or, like my father, will I be able to write prescriptions for anything and everything?

**and NO -- in no way am I planning on becoming a Dentist to get drugs..

Members don't see this ad.

Then why the hell would you want to be a dentist?

I am pretty sure dentists can only prescribe for dental related issues though.

Anti birth control for the mouth in-case sperm gets into the fallopian tubes from the alimentary canal.

Members don't see this ad :)
my father is an ER doctor and throught out my life if I needed anything from antibiotics to birthcontrol pills - my father has written the precription.

I've never heard of any father writing a prescription for birth control pills for their daughter. I guess daddy approves of her little girl being taken advantage of.

You really aren't suppose to be treated by family, so i am surprised the pharmacy fills your prescriptions written by your dad.

As far as I know dentist obtain DEA numbers so you can write a prescription for just about anything, but some things might raise suspicion.:horns: but check with a real dentist first, i am still learning.

You can prescribe anything that is a medicinal drug (no cocaine, etc.), though you can always be audited. My friend's dad in a very rare case did get her birth control (in another few cases got her some allergy meds.) They live in a rural community, so the pharmacist knew and trusted him.

I realize that as a DDS I will be able to write my patients prescriptions - is there any kind of rule about what I can prescribe? Or, like my father, will I be able to write prescriptions for anything and everything?

The question you should ask yourself is whether or not a dental degree will make you competent to prescribe medications for any condition other than those you have been trained for and will be encountering in dental practice.

The question you should ask yourself is whether or not a dental degree will make you competent to prescribe medications for any condition other than those you have been trained for and will be encountering in dental practice.

good point

You can ONLY write prescriptions for dental/oral related conditions. You can't write for BCP, HTN meds, etc. What ever you write has to be related to something with the mouth (reemphasized).

Ex. you could write medications for a sinus infection ONLY if it is to rule out an odontogenic condition i.e "my tooth hurts in the top left". If the patient has a history of sinus problems, its hay fever season, and you can't identify the offending tooth on exam.

Exceptions: If the dentist is ACLS certified and a "code" situations arise or an OMS.

No you shouldn't write for family members or self prescribe.

with the topic "you can't write for family members/treated by family"
i have to disagree...

say ur beloved wife/children got sick, and u r a doctor in the particular field.
would u ask ur colleague to do the job when you can handle it perfectly urself?

you are a professional, u should know what to prescribe and what not to prescribe to your family. If you don't think ur daughter needs birth control pills, would u write her one?

My father's wife is an MD and regularly prescribes meds for herself and him. I asked her about it and she said it's common for docs to prescribe for self and for family. Obviously it's advised against doing so, but I don't think much is done about it. Of course, a pharmacist can reject those prescriptions, and the DEA can investigate the prescription of any schedule I and II drugs.

To echo what's been said, a licensed dentist can apply for their DEA license, which grants the doc the ability to prescribe any drug available. But, prescribing a drug outside the scope of your practice could cost you in fines, suspensions and possibly your license.

If your wife goes to the doctor for a sore back and gets a prescripton for vicodin, and subsequently loses the prescription on the way home. Would you write her a new prescription so she didn't have to ask her doctor again?

I was just on vacation and ruptured my eardrum waterskiing. I called the pharmacy and prescribed myself an antibiotic. It was the first time that I wrote something to myself, so I was curious what the pharmacist would say. When I picked up the prescription, she said that it must be so nice to just write for myself. So, I wouldn't worry about that.

I would not, however, write a prescription for a Schedule II or III drug to myself or my family. You are just asking for trouble.

To echo what's been said, a licensed dentist can apply for their DEA license, which grants the doc the ability to prescribe any drug available. But, prescribing a drug outside the scope of your practice could cost you in fines, suspensions and possibly your license.

It appears that, as yet, you have not been introduced to a course in jurisprudence. Soon, you will become intimately acquainted with the Dental Board of California. The State Board of Dental Examiners of the state in question is the institution that grants a dental graduate the license that allows one to practice dentistry. State laws govern the practice of dentistry and therein you may or may not find specifics regarding prescribing guidelines. A license from the DEA and a state regulatory agency is mandatory in order to prescribe Class II, III, IV and V drugs.The DEA has absolutely no jurisdiction over medications unrelated to this group.

A licensed practitioner (MD, DDS, DVM, DO, OD) may be legally unrestricted in prescribing drugs and devices that require an Rx. The dental boards however, have a great deal of latitude in deciding what is proper and improper. Veterinary boards might not look too kindly on a prescription for high blood pressure intended for the master rather than the pet. As for prescribing for family members, it is unlikely that there are state laws that specifically address this issue. However, if the family member is not a patient of record we may have some issues. Even in medical circles, a neurologist, radiologist, surgeon, dermatologist, etc. might have a difficult time justifying writing an Rx for BC for his daughter or his best friend's daughter. The biggest concern in prescribing outside one's area of expertise is the position the practitioner will find himself/herself in, in the event of catastrophic consequences (anaphylactic reaction, other untoward effects, death) resulting from the act (prescribing). Is it worth taking a chance? Welcome to the real world!