Presentation for IM Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thaitanium

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am supposed to give two presentations during my IM rotation. Can anyone recommend some topics to present that is tested often on boards and the IM shelf exam?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
2 common themes I've noticed for boards is the emphasis on cardio, and multisystem disorders.
1. Cardio: Murmurs, approach to the MI, and the approach to CHF are good.
2. Multisystem: Autoimmune disorders, genetic mutations resulting in multiorgan system involvement.

If you're really sharp, you'll find one that covers both... like Marfans.
You can talk about the Dz itself, and then place emphasis on the CV efx: dissection. IM guys love multi-system stuff b/c they always like to sit around and say "well, what if he also had this on exam... then what would you think?" Anyhow, both really high yield topics for resident/student boards.
If you just wanna do something quick, fluid/electrolytes is always a good thing. Very practical for the residents, and you, as well as striking a sweetspot in most IM docs eyes. Yer prolly gonna see a ton of this on the floors, so now is a good time to really nail it... and it's a pretty logical topic too.

how about something to do w/ DVTs? then you can use the same presentation on surgery, ob/gyn, and family med...just put a different spin on things so it is more relevant to the given specialty. this was a recommendation from my senior resident on ob/gyn.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of disagree with the previous posts slightly. I think that it is kind of boring to present topics that have already been presented over and over and over by previous med students (i.e. approach to MI, CHF, etc).

I think that the Rational Clinical Examination series in JAMA has some excellent papers that are worth presenting. Most residents have just as crappy physical exam skills as medical students. These papers really shed light on proper technique, interreliability of maneuvers, and likelihood ratios of certain things that would surprise you.

An example would be the paper, "Does this Patient Have Aortic Regurgitation?". It not only explains the epidemiology, pathophysiology, etc., but it also explains proper technique and reviews things like pulse pressure, Hill sign, etc. In addition, it looks at the data and gives likelihood ratios to certain things that are talked about on the wards over and over. Turns out pulse pressure (based on available data) has a LR of around 1. Useless based on this paper, but mentioned on the wards a lot as something that is very suggestive of AI.

These papers are practical, useful, and full of information that most medical students have not presented before.

Fluid and electrolytes are always a good bet since you'll see it every single morning on rounds. I did a presentation on delirium vs dementia on my IM rotation which was well recieved. I think also doing a presentation on something relevant to a patient on your service is a good idea, it shows you are reading in depth about your patients.

Thaitanium said:
I am supposed to give two presentations during my IM rotation. Can anyone recommend some topics to present that is tested often on boards and the IM shelf exam?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Some of my MS3 asked me this question yesterday. This is what we found:

-Approch to chronic elevation of transaminases: you can include chronic and auto-immune hepatitis, hemochromatosis, Wilson disease... these diseases affect other systems too...

-Lyme Disease

-Cushing Syndrome

-Amyloidis

If I think about something else, I will post it later.

JuicyMary said:
Some of my MS3 asked me this question yesterday. This is what we found:

-Approch to chronic elevation of transaminases: you can include chronic and auto-immune hepatitis, hemochromatosis, Wilson disease... these diseases affect other systems too...

-Lyme Disease

-Cushing Syndrome

-Amyloidis

If I think about something else, I will post it later.

i think something that is relevant to one of ur patients on the service is the best bet. my seniors always liked it when i would tie in the presentation with a patient's findings or what the patient did not have. worked well for me with acute pancreatitis where i could go into the criteria and link it with the patient. also i have to agree with fluids and electrolyes, they are always a big hit

1. Fluids, electrolytes, and nutrition
2. elevated transaminases
3. PPD (came up on multiple NBME exams)
4. dysphagia
5. adult vaccinations/prophylaxis (HBV needle stick, HAV exposure, etc.): huge topic on family medicine shelf, comprehensive clinical sciences exam; also relevant to IM).

Of these, I personally would choose PPD or adult vaccinations/prophylaxis just because I felt that the review books did not cover these topic in sufficient detail to answer some of the questions on the nbme exams...and they will come up on these exams.

Paraneoplastic disorders. Makes a nice little presentation.