Presentations and ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pattycake25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so it's that time. Most of my experiences are straightforward, but I wasn't sure how to mention a team presentation done with other medical students at the Conference of Generalists in Med Ed . We discussed service learning initiatives at our school, with an overarching theme of discussing how our service enhanced our developing clinical manner. I certainly intend to mention the presentation when listing the experience itself, but I was wondering if it would also be appropriately included as a "Oral Presentation" under the Research tab, even though it's not...you know...really research. A past thread here mentioned that a "brown bag lunch at the Department of Economics" would qualify, so it made me think I had a chance too. =P What's your verdict?

Members don't see this ad.

You can probably include it but from previous posts, only published research really matters, and even then, it matters little

Sounds like it could qualify as a quality improvement project, but as far as research I would give it side-eye. Medical education research definitely is "real" research, but this sounds like an oral review and feedback on current initiatives in education. I mean, you could probably sneak it in there, but I'm just not sure why you would. If you have a bunch of other research, then it will probably mean nothing, and if you don't have other research to list, it will sort of stick out as a nothingburger (in terms of research only -- it sounds like a valuable activity otherwise).

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like it could qualify as a quality improvement project, but as far as research I would give it side-eye. Medical education research definitely is "real" research, but this sounds like an oral review and feedback on current initiatives in education. I mean, you could probably sneak it in there, but I'm just not sure why you would. If you have a bunch of other research, then it will probably mean nothing, and if you don't have other research to list, it will sort of stick out as a nothingburger (in terms of research only -- it sounds like a valuable activity otherwise).

Thank you both for your input! Would it then probably be most appropriate to include it in my experience description instead of as an "oral presentation" under Research?