Presentations in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChuckC

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if a lot of people are required to do presentations at their med schools but we do and it is incredibly nerve racking. I have a Physio presentation that I have to give in a week and my heart is already beating out of my chest just thinking about it. Whenever I do give presentations, my heart races, I'm sweating profusely, my voice chokes up and cracks like every sentence, and my hands tremble. I realize my situation if probably extreme, but is there something you guys do or even take prior to giving a presentation that helps. One of my buddies says he has a few drinks beforehand, but the last thing I want to do is slur my words in front of a hundred of my classmates and my professors.

Members don't see this ad.

get used to it....you'll have to do a lot of presentations third year, not to mention presenting your patients to your attending during rounds....

I'm sure someone in your class is on benzos... Maybe you can borrow one? Xanax would be nice, I would assume.

Otherwise, some general advice I usually follow, since I get the same wonky thing going on... Avoid caffeine that day, don't smoke (anything), *wink wink*, and try to get a good night's sleep beforehand. And preparation helps, because when you know what you're talking about, it's easier to ad-lib and find the words for things when you're anxious. Practice the presentation a few times with friends, or even by yourself to get used to hearing yourself say the words, get a feel for the flow of the presentation, etc, etc.

It might help to pinpoint why you think you get those feelings--whether it's an insecurity thing, a fear that people are scrutinizing/judging you (intellectually or physically), etc. Then at least you have an idea of steps you can take to get better with it. I was in PA school for a while, and they made us do loads of powerpoints--it got easier for me once I got comfortable with the rest of my classmates, and stopped worrying so much that they were going to think I was an idiot.

I would advise against the alcohol solution, though. You don't want to get involved in using something like that to alleviate the stress/anxiety of professional life, especially so early in your career. You have years to let the HMOs turn you into an alcoholic. ;)

Hope some of that helps.

In any event, good luck on the presentation, and best of luck conquering the public speaking thing. I know where you're coming from.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. Practice alone, in front of friends, in front of family. I wouldn't resort to drugs; what will you do when they're not available? Have notes to read off of if necessary, or simply read off the slide (like so many major presenters do anyway!).

This should get easier with practice. Even those who aren't worried about presentations still get gunshy every now and then.

In med school, we do lots of presentations. Some formally, but also lots informally, such as, "Hey, just read about ventilator management last night. Wanna do a quick review on it together?" or "Would you mind helping me with the brachial plexus? I've forgotten it totally..."

Maybe don't think about it as a presentation, but more of a goal: to communicate a set of information to a group of people. Do it any way you can. Powerpoint isn't always the best way!

ChuckC said:
I don't know if a lot of people are required to do presentations at their med schools but we do and it is incredibly nerve racking. I have a Physio presentation that I have to give in a week and my heart is already beating out of my chest just thinking about it. Whenever I do give presentations, my heart races, I'm sweating profusely, my voice chokes up and cracks like every sentence, and my hands tremble. I realize my situation if probably extreme, but is there something you guys do or even take prior to giving a presentation that helps. One of my buddies says he has a few drinks beforehand, but the last thing I want to do is slur my words in front of a hundred of my classmates and my professors.

Chuck, if it's not just your run of the mill anxiety, and if your 'condition' prevents you from doing well or is harming your confidence, then I think you should consider some meds.

See if you can get a Xanax or Ativan from your Doc. You'll be suprised how much it will calm you down. I will take one once in a great while if I need to give a big presentation to our president and vice pres etc. It just takes the edge off. And if you take the correct amount (i.e. that prescribed), you will not slow down intellectually, but if you take too much (upper end of prescribed limits for what your symptoms are), you'll just feel a little tired.

An approach that some stage actors and musicians use, which is less mainstream, is to take Beta blockers that block Norepinephrine from making your heart want to beat out of your chest. If you took 25-50 mg's of Atenolol (but no more), you'll be amazed how well it works. I've done that too.

What you'll see is that you really are not frightened of doing such things, but rather frightened of the effects that you know you will experience. It's a simple matter of physiology, and some people's sympathetic nervous systems don't take much to shift into high gear (often a higher gear than you'd like).

The best part about it is that this approach is that it will help limit any psychological limitations (like overly anticipating the massive heart rate increase) by allowing you to perform comfortably a few times. Then, as your comfort level grows due to not having to deal with an overacting nervous response, you can decide your approach from there. But, first, I would deal with the physical symptoms, as you'll see they are 90% of the problem, and not some actual psychological phobia that you have.

Good luck.

Propranolol (non specific B-blocker) is also prescribed. It shuts off sympathetic stimulation to your heart and also eliminates the shakes. I know of professors and public speakers that take it before lectures/presentations. It's also popular among concert pianists for it's ability to eliminate the shakes. The small group presentations get much less nerve racking with experience.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that the Beta blockers would be the most effective in dealing with the physical symptoms. Like I said, I've taken Atenolol (more cardiac specific), and it's unbelievable how well it works.

If it weren't for me worrying about whether people can notice my nervouseness, I'd do just fine. A little help until I stop worrying about the possiblity of humiliating myself in public would be just dandy. :D

definitely B-blockers. Benzos can actually decrease your objective performance, and your ability to assess how you've performed.

Forget drugs!!!

Being nervous is completely normal and what you are describing many people go through. It takes practice. Nobody is expecting you to give a Nobel lecture on Physiology. You Will Get Better With Time And Practice. I have to present fairly often and I am always nervous, it is human. It has gotten better with time and it actually goes away as soon as I start to speak. Practice in front of friends or even at home alone. Go through your entire presentation a few times. I have witnessed people pass out while giving a lecture and who have gotten much better and more comfortable with it after some experience.

If you start taking Beta blockers now, when will you stop?? Every time you have a presentation to give you will pop a pill????