Presenting a case report at a CME conference - helpful for residency match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Treebeard

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a somewhat unique patient situation a few days ago, and the attending heavily encouraged me to write up an abstract and submit it to a particular conference in the field. He said he is absolutely positive it will be accepted (i think in part due to it being being a good report and in part due to his influence in the field).

Obviously I'm going to do it if, but im just curious how much this kind of thing plays into residency apps. How does this compare to 'actual' research? I'm still early on in school but currently I am pretty convinced this is the field I'll be going into.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I saw a somewhat unique patient situation a few days ago, and the attending heavily encouraged me to write up an abstract and submit it to a particular conference in the field. He said he is absolutely positive it will be accepted (i think in part due to it being being a good report and in part due to his influence in the field).

Obviously I'm going to do it if, but im just curious how much this kind of thing plays into residency apps. How does this compare to 'actual' research? I'm still early on in school but currently I am pretty convinced this is the field I'll be going into.

Nothing compared to research, better than nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you can title it something that doesn’t scream “case report” then on a cursory glance it may look more impressive. It’s definitely better than not doing it and everything you do helps. Now get out there and do 5 more!