preservative free

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smarterchild

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time sourcing preservative-free lidocaine. Do you think lidocaine with preservative is safe to use for joints, RFA, etc?

I don't typically inject local for epidurals, but do use PF if I have an acute radic.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes no preservatives in spinals

Reactions: 1 user
I think the bigger risk is possibly having an allergic reaction to the preservative which also is very unlikely

no injectable is truly "preservative free".

these do have a preservative, typically citric acid, but based on FDA nomenclature, they are not considered a preservative...

The same reason we have to throw away a big bottle of contrast after using 2cc.. it makes the companies more money. I mean it’s an infection risk.. sorry

I was taught (and I was trained in a fairly conservative fellowship) that it had to with the infection risk from inserting multiple needles into the same vial numerous times.

But I’m happy to hear you guys are using multi dose vials. It would save quite a bit of money as a 1cc vial of depo 40mg is close to $10 each around my neck of the woods

we discussed this ad nauseam on here a few years back. I remember algosdoc had some very knowledgeable and beneficial insights

Reactions: 1 users
Take home points - if it is labeled as single dose, you are running a risk if you use it as multi dose and have an issue.

multidose - just draw it up with a new needle and syringe not in a room with a patient.