-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
preservative free
Started by smarterchild
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It’s fine outside of epiduralsI'm having a hard time sourcing preservative-free lidocaine. Do you think lidocaine with preservative is safe to use for joints, RFA, etc?
I don't typically inject local for epidurals, but do use PF if I have an acute radic.
Thanks
Per SIS, no adverse events have ever been reported injecting local anesthetics with preservatives or steroids with preservatives into the epidural space. Just be careful not to inject intrathecal.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes no preservatives in spinals
Thank you! Appreciate all the advice!
I don’t use PF anything and have never had a problem. Don’t sweat it.
no injectable is truly "preservative free".
these do have a preservative, typically citric acid, but based on FDA nomenclature, they are not considered a preservative...
these do have a preservative, typically citric acid, but based on FDA nomenclature, they are not considered a preservative...
Thanks all!
Wat about the steroids? Aren’t some with preservatives and some PF?I don’t use PF anything and have never had a problem. Don’t sweat it.
Steroids with preservative. In a multidose vial. Nothing bad happens.Wat about the steroids? Aren’t some with preservatives and some PF?
Oh I’ve always been taught multi dose vials for steroids are a no-no. Is that not the case?
For what reason are they a "no-no"? Preservatives don't matter. Multidose vials don't matter.Oh I’ve always been taught multi dose vials for steroids are a no-no. Is that not the case?
The same reason we have to throw away a big bottle of contrast after using 2cc.. it makes the companies more money. I mean it’s an infection risk.. sorry
I was taught (and I was trained in a fairly conservative fellowship) that it had to with the infection risk from inserting multiple needles into the same vial numerous times.
But I’m happy to hear you guys are using multi dose vials. It would save quite a bit of money as a 1cc vial of depo 40mg is close to $10 each around my neck of the woods
But I’m happy to hear you guys are using multi dose vials. It would save quite a bit of money as a 1cc vial of depo 40mg is close to $10 each around my neck of the woods
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was taught (and I was trained in a fairly conservative fellowship) that it had to with the infection risk from inserting multiple needles into the same vial numerous times.
Here's the CDC's FAQ on multi-dose vials......BTW some may not believe the CDC anymore 🙂
Questions about Multi-dose vials | Injection Safety | CDC
Take home points - if it is labeled as single dose, you are running a risk if you use it as multi dose and have an issue.
multidose - just draw it up with a new needle and syringe not in a room with a patient.
multidose - just draw it up with a new needle and syringe not in a room with a patient.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 32
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 983